treadmill saftey switch bypass

kifft

Joined Mar 10, 2017
i am running my wood lathe on a treadmill motor using the original controls. i have lost the red magnetic saftey switch and would like to bypass it. the saftey is the kind that sticks to the outside (not inserted) i do not want to make a new one, just bypass it. can anyone help?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Which T.M. controller are you using, or is this some other original controller.?
Are you talking the red E-stop button?
If so this generally drops out a hard wired relay to cut the motor controller power.
Sound almost like a magnetically operated reed switch similar to the T.M. E-Stop.?
If so this may not conform to code.
A little more info of the control circuit needed.
Max.

kifft

Joined Mar 10, 2017
the treadmill is a nordic track that uses a mc2100 control. i question is about the red plastic part that is attached to the user, in case you fall down.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is what I thought, if you want to by-pass it then you need to identify the means of switching that the magnet is activating, it will either be a reed switch or a proximity switch.
Normally the MC2100 can be just be fed direct via the two AC conductors to the unit, there is also usually a overload switch terminals on the board.
Max.

kifft

Joined Mar 10, 2017
i will have to look up the two switches you mentioned, to see what they are and do. when you refure to "the unit" and "the board" , is that the motor control board or the board in the console. i assume the latter. sorry for being such a newb.

kifft

Joined Mar 10, 2017
yes, i cut a circle out of a fridge magnet. the kind they use for advertising(rare earth magnet?), but that did not work.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Does it have a electrical cord from it? or is it just regular twine cord from the original E-stop button?
I see some users had to try different magnet configurations to get it to work.
Also, can you look at the back of the console where the sensor sits and try and identify any device it is operating on?
Max.

kifft

Joined Mar 10, 2017
the safety mag has a string-nothing electrical and sets on a recess on the top of the console. the safety mag is not the key style. i do not see any sensors on the consloe, but i have not opened it up yet. the only electrical cord on the console is a multi-stand cable connecting the motor board to the console.