treadmill pcb faulty

gerad.mcginty

Joined Dec 31, 2014
I have a York treadmill model t300+ diamond, my issue is that it runs erratically as soon as any load is put on the running belt ie: walking or running on it, I can switch it on perfectly, and adjust speed up and down all day and everything will still be running fine, but the moment I put my weight on it. It’ll start to slow down drastically(the DV180volt motor), then shortly afterwards it'll will burst into superfast speed then through an error on the upper display panel. So far I’ve replaced the two main HV Capacitors(400V 470uF) and cleaned the optical rpm sensor, and looked for dry soldering, so I am now at a loss as to what it could be, it is obviously some component on the board that adjusts the power when amps load increases on the board, but not knowing much about electronics I don’t know where to begin any input would be greatful, can post more detailed pictures if required of the PCB

gerad.mcginty

Joined Dec 31, 2014
I've just uploaded new pictures, and after reading some more of the basics of motor controlers, Could I ask if the problem might be more than likely a IGBT short out, would this cause the motor to run eraticaly under load

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Often these types of intermittent problems appear when components warm up, a can of Arctic Air or other type of aerosol coolant can pin point the problem.
Usually available at most electronic suppliers.
Max.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
This really could be absolutely anything, including the power-supply. Do you have an oscilloscope to check what's happening to the motor control signal before and after the motor driver stage?

gerad.mcginty

Joined Dec 31, 2014
Often these types of intermittent problems appear when components warm up, a can of Arctic Air or other type of aerosol coolant can pin point the problem.
Usually available at most electronic suppliers.
Max.
Many thanks for your reply, Just to mention, the issue is not an intermittent problem as to where its cold or hot, it'll do the same thing ie run eractically (variable speed as soon as someone steps on the belt) at any time of the day.

gerad.mcginty

Joined Dec 31, 2014
This really could be absolutely anything, including the power-supply. Do you have an oscilloscope to check what's happening to the motor control signal before and after the motor driver stage?
sorry I don't have a oscilloscope just a digital volt meter, why "including the power supply" as it'll run all day and work fine. I can adjust the speed and also incine fine with no issues, as lonf as I don't step on the belt, so surley it has to be witihn the parts of the circuit that detacts loadn (increased-AMPS). correct me if I am wrong as I am no electronics buff by any means.

gerad.mcginty

Joined Dec 31, 2014
sorry I don't have a oscilloscope just a digital volt meter, why "including the power supply" as it'll run all day and work fine. I can adjust the speed and also incine fine with no issues, as lonf as I don't step on the belt, so surley it has to be witihn the parts of the circuit that detacts loadn (increased-AMPS). correct me if I am wrong as I am no electronics buff by any means.
Sorry,but I don't have an oscilloscope. I just have a digital volt meter, why "including the power supply" as it'll run all day and work fine. I can increase/adjust the speed and also the incline ac motor all day with no apparent issues, so long as I don't step on the belt. So surely it has to be within the parts of the circuit that detects the load (Me stepping on it increases the AMPS/Load). Correct me if I am wrong as I am no electronics buff by any means. Also, I disconnected the DC Motor and manually rotated it checking the output as it increased speed the volts adjusted accordingly as it should do. So DC Motor is not suspect at present

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
why "including the power supply"?......................(Me stepping on it increases the AMPS/Load)

Exactly, because the power-supply supplies power to the motor; if when you put a load on the motor the power-supply voltage collapses you could get all kinds of unpredictable behavior from the machine.

I think that, without an oscilloscope, you will struggle to find the fault.

gerad.mcginty

Joined Dec 31, 2014
Thanks, point noted, well I guess I'll use an alternative board then from another treadmill only problem is converting it to suit of course.

gerad.mcginty

Joined Dec 31, 2014
why "including the power supply"?......................(Me stepping on it increases the AMPS/Load)

Exactly, because the power-supply supplies power to the motor; if when you put a load on the motor the power-supply voltage collapses you could get all kinds of unpredictable behavior from the machine.

I think that, without an oscilloscope, you will struggle to find the fault.
I managed to source a cheap motor and controller from a smaller treadmill, the trouble I am faced with now is it was missing the panel that you control the speed with, the wires that fed up to it has a six wire connector, is there anyway I can figure out what each wire does without blowing any of the components, I think two wires would be set aside for the magnet safety key clip..see picture attached, any input would help

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are basically two methods of speed control on T.M. controllers, PWM or 0-10v analogue.
Without the controller board, mix and matching parts from different T.M.'s is no simple task and usually requires a fair bit of reverse-engineering!
Max.

gerad.mcginty

Joined Dec 31, 2014
There are basically two methods of speed control on T.M. controllers, PWM or 0-10v analogue.
Without the controller board, mix and matching parts from different T.M.'s is no simple task and usually requires a fair bit of reverse-engineering!
Max.
I wasn't going to mix match, basically I was going to transfer everything over if I could have figured out the pinout, and attach a potentiometer, Thanks for the info.