Treadmill motor to power band saw

Thread Starter

theforge

Joined Jan 11, 2014
2
Hi,
I am using a treadmill motor to power a band saw. I am converting a wood cutting saw to a metal cutting one by using a treadmill motor to control the blade speed. I am building a Qkits DC Speed controller and need some info on hooking it up. The motor that I have has two blue, one red and one black. I am going to not use the blue ones. My question is:the speed controller needs a power supply. What size do I get? The instructions state anything from 5 to 16V DC. The motor is rated at 130VDC/ 2238W. The kit will put out up to 100VDC. It states that the motor can also be run on its own power supply. Which is the better option, off the controller or separate power supplies. Either way, I need assistance in choosing the correct power supplies?
Thanks,
Theforge
 

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
30,813
That most likely is one of the cheaper ones off ebay?
If so it may not have current feedback control for accurate rpm monitoring.
Also if it states 5-16v how is this going to drive a 130vdc motor?
What is meant by 'Own power supply'?
You could look at one of the KB/Baldor DC motor supplies off ebay, they can be picked up cheaper than you can build one.
They do not require a power supply as they use an SSR bridge and connect direct off of 120v AC.
Don't always believe the wattage rating stated on the T.M. motors.
Max.
 

Thread Starter

theforge

Joined Jan 11, 2014
2
Max-
The power supply needs to be between 5- 16 VDC . The controller will put out up to 100VDC. How big a power supply do I need ie amps? 120V AC to 5-16V DC (amps?)
As for 'own power supply'- the controller can be set up using the same power supply that is powering the controller to power the motor or using a separate power supply to power the motor.
 
Last edited:

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
1,196
How thick of steel are you trying to cut? ??
Personal I would hot wire the motor up and test the setup before moving forward because it might fail before this project even starts..
 
Top