Treadmill control board short (ALT-6330)

enragedmrt

Joined Apr 5, 2022
Hello all,

I'm a long time software engineer who's always admired the EE folks who really understand "how it works". In that vein, I've purchase a non-working treadmill with aspirations to repair it, the hard way. The treadmill is a Sole F80. The circuit board is an ALT-6330. The problem is as follows:

Any time the motor is engaged, the machine makes a click sound, everything's turns off, and the system reboots entirely.

I believe this is caused by a fault. The lights dim in the room which would seem to me like a sudden dump of energy, which makes me think of a fault. Furthermore, I figure the fault is on the side of the board after the motor switches on, since that's when it occurs (I believe). In any case, I've tried removing all externals from the board to eliminate any possible shorts off of the board, but it still shorts. I've posted some photos and a short video to imgur for ease here:
If anyone here is familiar with troubleshooting this sort of issue, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance for any help!

Grant

enragedmrt

Joined Apr 5, 2022
The two FETs are IRFP260N
Next to the FETs on the right is a sf3006pt
The (I think) motor relay is 832A-1A-C
The main bridge rectifier is labeled kbpc3510w

enragedmrt

Joined Apr 5, 2022
Ok, so after some more research I have a bit better of an understand of the motor circuit, though I'm still very far away from being useful. I've learned that the 4 pin rectifier converts AC to DC, that then makes it's way over to the two FETs which are a way to control the motor speed via PWM at the gates, which makes sense. The one component in that part of the board I don't understand is the third, three pin component. The data sheet indicates it's a fast switching DC to DC rectifier, but I don't understand it's use in the circuit. Anyways, just me documenting my thoughts before calling it a night.