transmitter and receiver range improvements

Arx&Sparx

Joined Feb 19, 2015
A larger antenna and/or more power out would work. As far as i know, UHF frequency range is mostly line of sight, so any obstructions are going to dramatically reduce range. If there are a lot of things in the way, more power out is not going to do much (may get you through some trees). A larger antenna (can be anything from aluminum foil to a piece of wire or a high end manufacturer) on either the Rx side or the Tx (or both) would allow larger coverage to rcv/xmit the signals. That's probably the easiest route before tinkering with the internals. There are equations for the size of the antenna in regards to wavelength and frequency. Trial and error works too. ;) If i were to start messing with an antenna, i would use the Rx side first. But i also agree with alfacliff and Papabravo.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
If it was easy, every remote control manufacturer would do it- range is a key marketing point.
It's really tricky and probably will result in great frustration, not commensurate with the reward.

PlasmaT

Joined Feb 19, 2015
I see that the majority are in the opinion that the range is to be extended using an antenna. But as @alfacliff has highlighted, if it’s a regenerative type, manipulating the antenna may not work. So first we need to know what type of transmitter and receiver we are try into to extend. @RodneyB did mention that the device is “..centurion Transmitter and receiver, code-hopping technology, 433Mhz operating frequency”

I assume it is not a regenerative receiver then the link given by @bertus will be useful to make your own colinear antenna or a directional antenna. I found the links very interesting. thanks bertus :)

I think that, measuring the power of a low power transmitter may not give a practical solution because the range very much depends on the site condition. So as @Arx&Sparx, said trial and error, :rolleyes:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The only reason to measure the power output would be to determine if the device was operating at the legal limit or not. If it was not at the legal limit then increasing the power output to that limit would maximize your chances of using the available power to extend the range or increase the reliability of receiving a signal at a given range. Since this would apply to multiple sites it would be useful to know in any case.