PLEASE HELP!! long range transmitter/ receiver

astubborndonkey

Joined Apr 13, 2010
hey guys here is my question.
i have two need for a longe range videi signal. the first is i have two houses but i let a friend live in one with the agreement to not go to the guest side so i want to wire up a spy camera and wirelessly send the video to my house about a 1/2 mile away. so how do i transmit receive view and possibly store that in a somewhat cost effective manner. i know its a big bill but i trust you guys are much better at this than me.

the second one is that i have a rc heli and i wanna do the same thing but i dont care about storage

astubborndonkey

Joined Apr 13, 2010
well i wanna keep it low as possible. the quality doesnt have to be too good but i wanna try and stay under 4-5 hundred if thats even possible. the cheaper the better haha

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You should be able to do this for under 3 hundred.. easy.

Do you have the camera? or do you need everything?

If you have internet in the location to be observed, you dont need a huge transmitter. You can transmit from the camera to the computer, then you can log in to a website to view the action. And it will also be recorded.. About $99.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Planting a spy camera where a so-called friend lives, regardless of who owns the house, is a bad idea. Does the friend happen to be of the opposite sex? You should also check relevant laws in your area.

John

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Good call. I was under the assumption that the camera was going in the guest room where the 'friend' wasn't supposed to be.

OP, you may want to clairify your case.. At least with yourself.
If your friend is REALLY your friend, should this be of concern?

If it is the friend who is recovering from addiction problems and you want to keep them straight, you may want to make them aware of the cameras, to help 'keep' them honest. It would be better if you never had to POP the evidence on them. But if they knew of the cameras and still did something against your wishes.. they gotta go.

astubborndonkey

Joined Apr 13, 2010
lol im not a pervert i just dont trust that he wont use the guest side of the house. im trying to rent that side and i dont want people in it. no they arent of the opposite sex either

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
Wouldn't alarm type PIRs and a narrowband data link be easier?

You could even fit a remotely accessible alarm system (like HAI Omni).
That one has both remote telephone access/control and built-in Ethernet for a direct network or internet link. (I use an OmniPro plus some other automation software, that gives me a floorplan of the house with real-time monitoring of PIRs etc - the locations light up on screen as people move past).

A good security/fire system can only add to the rental value and there is no way your guest would go into the other half of the building if it has a security system, even a basic one.

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
A basic self-contained alarm system is quite cheap, I'd guess a minimal DIY system for $100 - $150 or so.

The all-singing-and-dancing ones with networking capability start at about $500 or so, the top models more like $1200.

The automation and monitoring software I use is then about another $500
'HAL2000' http://www.automatedliving.com/products2.shtml and
'MyServant' http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/New-...-MyServant-v3.0-Home-Automation-Software.html
The 'live floorplan' is shown half way down that page.