Transmission method for magnetic fields discovered

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Awesome!

Being able to "steer" magnetic field path using very little energy is the final thing needed to make viable perpetual motion machines.

Things that could run (and produce power) from a previously stable magnetic field like the Earth's magnetic field.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Ouch! You might tap into a large reservoir of power, but perpetual motion? I had a similar though using the rotational energy of the earth and gyroscopes, large gyroscopes.

Please don't make me move this thread.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Ouch! You might tap into a large reservoir of power, but perpetual motion? I had a similar though using the rotational energy of the earth and gyroscopes, large gyroscopes.
You are right of course, being able to tap into the Earth's magnetic field and extract usable energy would come at the expense of that magnetic machine (the Earth) which is essentially a massive iron rotor, ie spinning flywheel.

So being able to use that field to generate power and spin a small machine, would put a load on the spinning iron core of the planet.

But to all simple observers you would have a machine which spins for year after year with no obvious energy input, and it would still qualify for any of the "perpetual motion machine" competitions and prizes.

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
I thought this discovery was just a better method of guiding magnetic fields in the same way that an iron rod guides them, but that works much better.

I don't understand the perpetual motion connection - does this allow for anything new, that couldn't have been done before? In particular, how does power enter into this?

I mean, if this discovery is something new, I'll get as excited as the next guy, but what is it that they have done?