Transistor help

timplett

Joined Jan 20, 2009
I want to use a transistor to power a motor but I need the motor to run when there is 0 volts to the base and shut off when the base receives voltage. How do I do this?

timplett

Joined Jan 20, 2009
I am not exactly sure of the size motor I will be using yet for this project. It will be 12 volts and I think under 10 amps.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If it's more than a few Amperes, you'd be better off using an N-channel power MOSFET; they're much more efficient power-wise than using transistors. A P-channel power MOSFET could be used, but they are typically less efficient than their N-channel counterparts.

Once you figure out what your input signal will look like, and how much power your motor will require, we can be of more help.

timplett

Joined Jan 20, 2009
I am planning on using a monostable 555 circuit as was suggested to me by mik3 so the output of the 555 will be the input to the base of the transistor. As far as the motor as I said I am not completely sure yet but lets say 5-10 amps @ 12VDC. If anything it may be less than 5 amps, but not significantly.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Use a n channel MOSFET driven by a BJT as to turn it on/off fast and not allow it to spend much time in the linear region and dissipate much heat.

timplett

Joined Jan 20, 2009
I was actually just doing some further research on the 555 and stumbled across a monostable circuit with the output normally on. Does this make it simpler at all?