Transistor getting very hot - suggestions please for a alernative

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Here's the revised circuit, as per my edit to post #80. Pot1 sets the dusk/dawn threshold and Pot2 sets the PWM duty cycle to vary the LED strip brightness.
AddingPWM2.PNG
R-LEDs is a current-limiting resistor, assumed integrated in the LED strip.
Any unused gates in the IC should have their inputs connected to ground or Vdd, so that they aren't left floating.

Last edited:

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Here's the revised circuit, as per my edit to post #80. Pot1 sets the dusk/dawn threshold and Pot2 sets the PWM duty cycle to vary the LED strip brightness.
View attachment 141333
Any unused gates in the IC should have their inputs connected to ground or Vdd, so that they aren't left floating.
Very nice!

Might ganging up the 3 remaining gates in parallel to drive the FET allow you enough drive to ditch the complimentary pair?
This trick should get you a driver impedance of around 160 ohms?

Probably should add a bypass cap to manage the gate current spikes too.

Ford Prefect

Joined Jun 14, 2010
View attachment 141333
Thank you Alec_t - this is actually very good - I like it! :)
At first I thought Pot1 and the LDR were reversed but it appears ok :)
Are the transistors and R2 needed or can IC1b be connected directly into the MOSFET?
Edit: Sensacell replied as I was writing this :D

Ford Prefect

Joined Jun 14, 2010
Referring to Sensacell's post #71 and also my post #74

I was actually doing some calculations last night and it seems that I would need about a 15k resistor (R1)
to fix the threshold of when the light comes on.
Referring to the 4093 datasheet and due to the hysteresis of the 4093, the circuit activates (light comes on) when the LDR is about 70k and deactivates (light switches off) when the LDR is about 40k - which is what I wanted. :)
Dark Light Circuit-4.jpg

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
can IC1b be connected directly into the MOSFET?
The 4093 is rated for low output current only. You could try without the transistors, but I'd retain R2 and increase its value to, say, ~1k to reduce stress on the IC1b output. You could also connect currently unused IC1c and IC1d in parallel with IC1b so that three Schmitt gates share the load of driving the M1 gate capacitance.

Edit: And as Sensacell suggests, the IC would benefit from a decoupled supply. A short-leaded 100nF ceramic cap between pins 7 and 14 may be enough.

Last edited: