Transformer

GER_BOY

Joined Apr 7, 2006
Can anyone give me some clear insigt on a high current setup for a transformer (50A) That has a 120AC imput and a 130+ DC output

Thanks

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
Is your home insurred?

What are you trying to weld?

Sounds like a recipie for disaster! Need more details. 50-amps from a 120-vac residential source aint gonna happen! At least not without a good robust burning event!

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Actually, that would be a step down transformer. 130/ √2 = 92Vac.

To handle 6000 VA, transformer core will need a cross section area of about 91 sq cm (11 sq in).

Wire size on the 50 amp winding will be AWG6, bare minimum - AWG4 or thicker would be better.

I don't even want to think about the caps needed to keep ripple under control.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by n9xv@Apr 7 2006, 05:25 PM

What are you trying to weld?

[post=15927]Quoted post[/post]​
I think you hit the nail on the head. That is probably the only transformer that he will be able to get to do the job. Rip one out of and old arc welder.

GER_BOY

Joined Apr 7, 2006
Its not a weld but a cut. A plasma cuter uses a voltage of about 130 vdc without load and 90 vdc worloead. 50 A performence would enable me to cut metal that is quite thick. And yes im well aware of the nesesary powere supply that id have to run from the circut braker.

GER_BOY

Joined Apr 7, 2006
Actually come to think on it i was thinking about using a arc welder to do the job and just attach a plasma torch, however another guy i contacted gave me the information that i needed more voltage.

However i allso understand that the plasma cuters were discover buy trying to change the setup of a welder. By constricting the nozle they increased the gass pressure, but then i still dont quite understand the electrical part

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Look at McMaster-Carr. If they still have the oxy-gasoline torch, it might be safer. It's supposed to burn a 250 lb. rail in under one minute.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Gas torches don't even come close to a plasmacutter's precision. Its like comparing chainsaws to scrollsaws. Learning curve is quicker with a plasmacutter as well.

Note that small plasmacutters are now available for less than $500 US.

Ger Boy - your 50 Amp unit is 220vac, not 120vac. I've used a portable unit that runs on 120vac. IIRC output was 20 or 30 Amps.