Trade for various, horizontal, through hole, POTS 10k ohm preferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConstructionK88

Joined Jul 25, 2018
Im in need of various POTS in about any range but i prefer 10k +-5k. Also midrange resistors. Ive spent a bit to much on this hobby and buying the ones i need isnt cheap enough to out weigh a trade. Must have a horizontally adjusting axis. size isnt very important. I have access to a good bit of HV parts. Name it and I might have it. (when i say HV i mean 277v and under)

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It would help if you posted your location (the blue interface no longer displays location information from your profile).

Top adjusting pots can become side adjusting by using a riser board.

ConstructionK88

Joined Jul 25, 2018
Valid points but unless they are intended to be continuously adjusted they won't work for long. Also I can't put a knob on a "top/vertical adjust" trimmer/pot without it being in the way. Current setup.

Attachments

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Valid points but unless they are intended to be continuously adjusted they won't work for long. Also I can't put a knob on a "top/vertical adjust" trimmer/pot without it being in the way. Current setup.
Well, I don’t think you have a top/vertical/side/horizontal problem. You have a naming problem!

And to say you have a pot type problem where you clearly have a design problem, well, is just plain wrong. When you layout components so that a knob is in the way, well then isn’t the simple way to just not put the knob there? IMHO making new names for components is not the first thing I would do.

Just sayin’

Last edited:

ConstructionK88

Joined Jul 25, 2018
I wasnt naming, I was describing. Since there arent any nomenclatures available to differentiate between types(so even if i said purple tree beer) im still not wrong, I was fairly accurate in describing their axis of adjustment relative to pin out and perf board layout. Also it wise that my board has as little surface area as possible so as not to attract much heat so a knob in the way is genuinely in the way....build a 3000F fire and tell me whats good....

just sayin'

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I wasnt naming, I was describing. Since there arent any nomenclatures available to differentiate between types(so even if i said purple tree beer) im still not wrong, I was fairly accurate in describing their axis of adjustment relative to pin out and perf board layout. Also it wise that my board has as little surface area as possible so as not to attract much heat so a knob in the way is genuinely in the way....build a 3000F fire and tell me whats good....

just sayin'
But there is existing nomenclature. The standard mount is just that. No additional description is necessary. The other type is a right angle mount.

There is no concept of horizontal or vertical with a potentiometer.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The funny part is that with std. the shaft is 90 degrees from the mounting pins and vice versa. Confusing ain't it... It refers to pin orientation to the body, not the shaft. The shaft always mounts to the body at 90 degrees. And the pins are bendable, the shaft isn't.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
It refers to pin orientation to the body, not the shaft. The shaft always mounts to the body at 90 degrees.
The body is in the same plane as the pins in a standard mount. Hence, the body will be orthogonal to the PCB.

In a right angle mount, the plane of the body is orthogonal to the pins, and hence (in a right angle mount) will always be in a parallel plane with the PCB.

I understand the TS didn’t know these terms, but while learning the correct terms, he makes up his err, uses non-standard terms as a description.

Which is fine. But when someone tries to explain the proper terms, he gets all that!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.