Tour a mental hospital. What the ......???

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
So my bicycle tour this year will be the Willamette Valley Bikeway. Yeah I have probably been on more exciting tours before but I just needed a nice simple easy tour this time around. Plus I have been wanting an excuse to ride the Zephyr back home. I will be picking the train up in Sacramento after taking the Starlight from Eugene.

Traveling the bikeway, my days are going to be pretty short. Maybe 40 miles a day. I usually do 60 but with the spacing of the major towns along the bikeway, it is either a 40 mile day or an 80 mile day. While I would do 80 miles if I had to, I don't really have to. ;) The benefit of the nice short riding day is I will have time to spend in some of the towns. A luxery I don't often have.

So I was looking around for things to do along the way. I ran across this for Salem.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...tal_Museum_of_Mental_Health-Salem_Oregon.html

A tour of a mental hospital?? Really? OK if you are a movie buff this is where One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest was filmed. I could see maybe visiting it for that reason but other than that I just can't figure out why someone would find an old mental hospital interesting. I guess there is not an awful lot to do in the Willamette Valley. ;)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
So my bicycle tour this year will be the Willamette Valley Bikeway. Yeah I have probably been on more exciting tours before but I just needed a nice simple easy tour this time around. Plus I have been wanting an excuse to ride the Zephyr back home. I will be picking the train up in Sacramento after taking the Starlight from Eugene.

Traveling the bikeway, my days are going to be pretty short. Maybe 40 miles a day. I usually do 60 but with the spacing of the major towns along the bikeway, it is either a 40 mile day or an 80 mile day. While I would do 80 miles if I had to, I don't really have to. ;) The benefit of the nice short riding day is I will have time to spend in some of the towns. A luxery I don't often have.

So I was looking around for things to do along the way. I ran across this for Salem.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...tal_Museum_of_Mental_Health-Salem_Oregon.html

A tour of a mental hospital?? Really? OK if you are a movie buff this is where One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest was filmed. I could see maybe visiting it for that reason but other than that I just can't figure out why someone would find an old mental hospital interesting. I guess there is not an awful lot to do in the Willamette Valley. ;)

Where have you been? This is the big tourism draw in these backwater towns with big buildings and they don't know what to do with them. In Winston, WV, there is another one - we toured on our way down to see the eclipse in August.

The Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum, subsequently the Weston State Hospital, was a Kirkbride psychiatric hospital that operated from 1864 until 1994 by the government of the U.S. state of West Virginia, in the city of Weston. Wikipedia
https://maps.google.com/maps?num=10...a363ea66b5327:0x573031bac9b61f7e&gmm=CgIgAQ==

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Never really felt the need to see that torture chamber in Salem.

The Starlight segment of the trip will be great. I really enjoyed the Parlor car even at night for the open space when we took the round trip from Portland to LA a few years back in a sleeper car.
PIC_0035.JPG 100_0285.JPG

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Never really felt the need to see that torture chamber in Salem.
Exactly my point.

The Starlight segment of the trip will be great. I really enjoyed the Parlor car even at night for the open space when we took the round trip from Portland to LA a few years back in a sleeper car.
View attachment 144077 View attachment 144078
I am looking forward too it. I have business class for that segment. But I am really looking forward to the Zephyr that goes though the Rockies. My concern is that these long distance trains will be discontinued soon and I wanted to take the chance to ride them now. I did the Empire Builder last year and it was great.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento there is a train museum I plan to visit. There is one in Portland too but I don't think I will have time to visit that one.

I was hosted for an over night stay in Mcminnville on my way tot the Oregon coast. My host drove me around his sleepy little town. After I got back, I learned Mcminnville is where the Spruce Goose is now housed and they have an air museum! You would think my host would have said. "Hey do you want to see the Spruce Goose" or "You know the Spruce Goose is in town, I have seen it a million times but if you want to take a ride out there..." Nope not on word. :(

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A tour of a mental hospital?? Really? OK if you are a movie buff this is where One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest was filmed. I guess there is not an awful lot to do in the Willamette Valley. ;)
Give my regards to Nurse Ratched.
The only other reference I have is they are the origin of some of the Hops I use,:cool: Willamette.
Max.

Last edited: