Tossing a vacuum cleaner for want of a schematic...

metermannd

Joined Oct 25, 2020
So I have an older Bissell bagless vacuum, and I decided to take it apart so I could knock some of the accumulated dust out of the crevices within, and when it came to taking apart the lower housing, I broke one of my cardinal rules and failed to document the three connections to the motor. I searched a fair bit but could only find the same low-res exploded view of the vacuum cleaner parts across multiple sites while trying to find any information that will allow me to connect the motor leads properly.

Before I commit the disassembled cleaner to the dustbin, thought I'd try the brain trust here in a last-ditch effort.

It looks like this: https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-82574741899364/bissell-vacuum-motor-for-models-3950-6390-2032320-4.jpg

There are three terminals: Two on one side, one on the other.

One is for the neutral (one motor terminal and one side of the light)

Second one is for the hot (comes from the switch assembly)

The third is apparently derived from a transformer-type winding inside the motor, as the light connects to the motor as well.

I could make a guess and try, but I'd rather not have a fireworks show out on my porch!

anniel747

Joined Oct 18, 2020
So I have an older Bissell bagless vacuum, and I decided to take it apart so I could knock some of the accumulated dust out of the crevices within, and when it came to taking apart the lower housing, I broke one of my cardinal rules and failed to document the three connections to the motor. I searched a fair bit but could only find the same low-res exploded view of the vacuum cleaner parts across multiple sites while trying to find any information that will allow me to connect the motor leads properly.

Before I commit the disassembled cleaner to the dustbin, thought I'd try the brain trust here in a last-ditch effort.

It looks like this: https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-82574741899364/bissell-vacuum-motor-for-models-3950-6390-2032320-4.jpg

There are three terminals: Two on one side, one on the other.

One is for the neutral (one motor terminal and one side of the light)

Second one is for the hot (comes from the switch assembly)

The third is apparently derived from a transformer-type winding inside the motor, as the light connects to the motor as well.

I could make a guess and try, but I'd rather not have a fireworks show out on my porch!
So, you seemingly answered your own question?

metermannd

Joined Oct 25, 2020
So, you seemingly answered your own question?
Not quite.

I know one terminal on the motor is for the 120V, one is for the neutral (and I can reasonably assume that it is the one to which two windings are terminated), and one is the 12V winding for the lamp.

My question was merely to see if any of the other regulars had dealt with this particular style of motor and if so, whether they were able to remember the details off the top of their head.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I know one terminal on the motor is for the 120V, one is for the neutral (and I can reasonably assume that it is the one to which two windings are terminated), and one is the 12V winding for the lamp.

My question was merely to see if any of the other regulars had dealt with this particular style of motor and if so, whether they were able to remember the details off the top of their head.
Pretty certain it is going to be a Universal motor as can be seen by the two brush holders.
The spade terminal is presumably the lamp, You should be able to feed the 120v and N for a short test purpose.

metermannd

Joined Oct 25, 2020
The bearings were getting iffy (try to spin the motor, and it wouldn't even coast a half turn), so I'd managed to take the impeller off to get down to the bearings and see if a drop of 3-in-1 oil would help. I did eventually ohm out the motor to further guess at the windings, connected it based on that and gave it a try (plugged it in with the switch on). It actually worked... only to overspeed and groan to a stop a few seconds after that.

(shrug) Story of my life.

It looked like filters for that model are starting to dry up anyway, and the belt had a cut from a screw I'd sucked up at some point. I was hoping to buy some time and replace the vacuum later this summer. Oh well.