toshiba netbook issues

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i have a toshiba nb205 netbook latley it has started blue screening on shutdown, and saying thes no page file on login. i have tryed to adjust the page files to userdefined and system managed both do the same thing. the BSOD code came up somthing like a usb powerstate problem, or hard drive isue. i have used thumb drives in it in any port and it will have to be pluged in it will open for a little bit then it becomes unacesible till it is repluged in again some times many times. planing on reinstalling it in a few weeks to see if that fixes it. but the usb isue has me almost thinking it could be a damaged port or somthing else on the motherboard. (i have heared of quite a few usb isues in laptops.) or it could be a virus or somthing is corupted then the reinstall should fix it. however to install it i will have to use a usb divice and if this is the problem i guess it will fail then i know what part of the isue is. i have tryed virus scans and nothing comes back as threatining. bios seemed normal time is corect no settings should afect this. it boots and runs other than these isues.
i was wondering if anyone else has had similar isues and or how i can fix it.

c0de3

Joined May 1, 2009
Weird. Two things come to mind with this problem.

1. Possibly a driver issue as it relates to your USB or storage subsystem. Check your device manager for any yellow exclamation points. Also look for any newer version drivers for these devices. Possibly re install the current ones if they are already up to date.

2. Sounds like it could also be a flaky power saving setting. Check the power settings (In device manager, on the hardware itself, not the controller panel applet) and also check the power settings on the components that connect the components in question. In device manager you can view by connection, this is helpfully for finding a "downstream" issue.

If you really want to find the answer you'd need to crack open one of the BSOD files with windbg and run some commands to find where your machine choked.

Or... reinstall...

- C

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
ok i can try that. divice manager had a bunch of new stuff apear around the same time with warnings however it will not update the drivers because it dosnt know what it is looking for. they all say unknowen divice the rest i know are in it look ok. and nothing was added. got a new message today saying somthing about the registry and a backup (or alternate) ragistry was loaded. this is begining to look more and more like a failing hard drive, or virus. but i have never seen a virus do somthing like this and i have tryed AV scans on it. i dont realy do anything online with it so i'd be kind of suprised.

c0de3

Joined May 1, 2009
ok i can try that. divice manager had a bunch of new stuff apear around the same time with warnings however it will not update the drivers because it dosnt know what it is looking for. they all say unknowen divice the rest i know are in it look ok. and nothing was added. got a new message today saying somthing about the registry and a backup (or alternate) ragistry was loaded. this is begining to look more and more like a failing hard drive, or virus. but i have never seen a virus do somthing like this and i have tryed AV scans on it. i dont realy do anything online with it so i'd be kind of suprised.
Try looking at device manager by connection. See if you can find a common point to all the "newly discovered" items. Doesn't really sounds like a virus to me per say; just sounds like driver(s) issues. What created those issues? Possibly could be a virus, but it could also be a device starting to fail.

You could also boot into safemode and see how the machine responds. See if the symptoms are still present. If they are NOT then it is a driver issue. If they are then... well we don't know much more than we do now. Also look at device manager in safe mode. It will show you 'hidden' hardware drivers that are loaded (normally they are drivers that the system can't find the hardware for). Sometimes those can cause conflicts.