Topic Gone?

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
Why can I no longer view any topics in the Project Forum? I was abile to view it this morning.

I have some information on there that I need and it says something about the cut off age.
Any ideas??

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Hurdy@Feb 28 2006, 02:24 PM
Why can I no longer view any topics in the Project Forum?

I have some information on there that I need and it says something about the cut off age.
Any ideas??
[post=14444]Quoted post[/post]​
I assume it is an oldish thread. If you go to the bottom of the Projects Forum page you will see a selection box saying "From: 30 days" - click the down-arrow to the right of it and select "Show all". The Projects Forum will now show all threads posted in that forum. If you have any further problems let me know.

It will also move this to the Off-Topic Lounge where it is better suited.

Dave

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
I've tried that. The post was only made early hours of this morning.
If I do as you say the latest post is 2005.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Hurdy@Feb 28 2006, 02:32 PM
I've tried that. The post was only made early hours of this morning.
If I do as you say the latest post is 2005.
[post=14446]Quoted post[/post]​
Hi Hurdy,

I have noticed that the same thing is happening here. Can you tell me which web browser you are using? (just to eliminate that as a possibility).

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Hurdy@Feb 28 2006, 02:43 PM
Internet Explorer v 6.0.2900.2180
[post=14449]Quoted post[/post]​
Thanks I have tried it with IE6, Mozilla Firefox and Opera, and all browsers are having a problem.

I have contacted the site administration about the problem and will relay any information I get back to you. Apologies for the problems.

One thing I can suggest is do a Google search for your topic title and confine the search to the allaboutcircuits.com domain - Google will give you the option of viewing a cached paged when the actual page is not available. At least this way you can view the topic you require, obviously assuming Google has a cached copy of the page. However its is worth a shot.

Dave

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
Thank you Dave I will give it a try.
Do you think the information lost here will be recoverable? I imagine its all in a database somewhere?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Hurdy@Feb 28 2006, 02:51 PM
Thank you Dave I will give it a try.
Do you think the information lost here will be recoverable? I imagine its all in a database somewhere?
[post=14451]Quoted post[/post]​
At this point I can't say. The site admin are based in the US and may not be alerted to this problem for a good few hours. As soon as I know what the situation is I will let you know.

Incidently, I have just tried the Google cached option on an arbitrary thread from the Projects Forum and it works; so you should have at least something to keep you going till this problem is resolved. Again I can only apologise for the present problems and hopefully we'll be back up and running soon.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Hurdy@Feb 28 2006, 02:58 PM
Nope no luck with google :(
Well I can't find mine.
[post=14453]Quoted post[/post]​
I assume that is because Google hasn't cached the page yet. It was worth a try.

I can only say try back later when hopefully we will have more information about the situation.

Dave

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
Ok thanks dave you've been a big help.
I've got to go to class now :p and learn some exciting Analogue about Phasor's. Sounds exciting doesn't it :p.

Speak to you later.

Thanks again,

Rob

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
Does windows cache pages I have previously viewed? Is it still possible to view previous pages even when I have restarted?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Hurdy@Feb 28 2006, 09:33 PM
Does windows cache pages I have previously viewed? Is it still possible to view previous pages even when I have restarted?
[post=14469]Quoted post[/post]​
Hi Hurdy,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you. As of yet there is no response from the AAC site admin about the forum being down. I will endeavour to contact them again about the issue.

You are using Internet Explorer which does cache the web pages you view. The following works for Windows XP, let me know if you have a different OS.

1) Open My Computer
2) Click Tools>Folder Options>View
3) Check Hidden files and Folders>Show hidden files and folders
4) Close Folder Options
5) Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<your name>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

Assuming you have the standard Windows XP install this folder will have all the web pages you have visited recently (certainly over the last week depending on the folder size), you will need to sift through all the .html/.htm documents in there to try and find what you are looking for. It is a labourious task but will probably work (that is assuming you don't have IE set to empty this folder on exit).

Hope it goes well.

Dave

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by Hurdy@Feb 28 2006, 10:33 PM
[post=14469]Quoted post[/post]​
The browser caches the pages, try looking at the browsing history. The browser is usually set to delete caches after a certain time interval.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by n9352527@Feb 28 2006, 10:53 PM
The browser caches the pages, try looking at the browsing history. The browser is usually set to delete caches after a certain time interval.
[post=14471]Quoted post[/post]​
IIRC in IE6 the temporary internet files are limited only be the size of the folder, however the browser history (which is a log of the visited web pages) is retained for a time period in days set from the Internet Properties>General tab.

Either way, assuming default IE settings, a recent visit to a web page will be resident in both the browser history and the temporary Internet files folder.

Dave

Originally posted by Dave@Mar 1 2006, 10:09 AM
IIRC in IE6 the temporary internet files are limited only be the size of the folder, however the browser history (which is a log of the visited web pages) is retained for a time period in days set from the Internet Properties>General tab.

Either way, assuming default IE settings, a recent visit to a web page will be resident in both the browser history and the temporary Internet files folder.

Dave
[post=14472]Quoted post[/post]​
I also can't see any of the posts in the project folder so I doubt very much it has anything to do with browser cacheing. I am guessing the server has had a big hiccup.

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
Ok ive found all my cached pages. But they will to access the net. Seeming the page is no longer available online the html page I try to open directs me to the page saying its no longer available.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I am also unable to view any topics in the Projects folder. Says "No topics were found. This is either because there are no topics in this forum, or the topics are older than the current age cut-off."

When I set the date filter to "show all," 9 topics from 2004-05 come up - although there seem to be 87 pages (86 of which are presumably empty...)

Could the server have experienced a glitch?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by windoze killa@Mar 1 2006, 12:04 AM
I also can't see any of the posts in the project folder so I doubt very much it has anything to do with browser cacheing. I am guessing the server has had a big hiccup.
[post=14475]Quoted post[/post]​
Its not a case of there being a problem with browser caching, my advice is for Hurdy to try and get cached version of the web pages so that he can see the reply to his topic. It does on the face of it appear that the problem is a server-side glitch somewhere.

I personally haven't had a response from the AAC admin regarding this issue, so I will chase them up again and try to get someone to look at it.

In the meantime it appears as though forum members can post new topics in the Projects forum.

Any news I get I will relay here.

Dave