Too many voltage converters?

Ricardo Cortez

Joined Mar 26, 2018
Hi,

I am working on a wooden enclosure / shadow box project that runs an LED ring light and a 12v dc motor. For sake of simplicity, I am running an 2 prong AC cord to the enclosure to power three components.
  1. An LED driver
  2. A DC/DC converter (link to the converter)
  3. A DC motor
Will the attached setup be ok to run or am I using too many voltage converters that makes this unsafe, high heat, fire danger?
The motor will be under minimal to almost zero load.

Attachments

Threeneurons

Joined Jul 12, 2016
Do you have datasheets on the 3 items you wish to connect, or are cheap "undocumented" items, from our favorite country of import ? Provide links to items, if you can't give us the specification links.

Threeneurons

Joined Jul 12, 2016
I just noticed the link for the 60V to 12V converter. That's a "generic import", and that 60V is almost certainly the absolute maximum input value. Your LED driver varies from 75V to something higher. So you're already screwed. These cheap imports tend to be wildly optimistic on their capabilities. It will probably fail at 50V. It may also take out the LED driver. LED drivers regulate current [amperage, for the knuckle draggers] , not voltage. I'm assuming it tries to maintain 300mA, but that may overload the LED driver circuit, if the LED drop is less than 75V.

Also 12V * 10A is 120W, if that's the true draw of the motor. If so, you're already exceeding the capacity of the LED driver (40W).

Get out the marshmellows. I see smoke !

128ITSH

Joined Jul 20, 2017
This is the way that I think is the best for you:
circuit.png
You don't need to have two plugs for this, just wire the two converters in parallel from one plug.
Take a 12V supply that has at least 1.5 times amperage rating than the motor, even 2 times if you buy it from an unreliable seller (i.e. ebay).
Having multiple voltage regulators in series with high voltage and current is considered inefficient, the first one limits the power from the second one while the AC has much more power "available" (It can deliver much more current).

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
this is not good since the LED converter is CC you cant hook up a voltage converter to the output.
Also as mentioned the input voltage is too high.

Wood is not good for electric appliances as temperatures can build up slowly, as well the wood can dry out + smoulder gradually, carbonize to some extent. Then after a few years it can ignite more easily. You need ventilation and to check temperatures should not become close or too hot to touch, no more than 40C and you must check after several days. Sometimes you may have air drag sometimes not. Statistically theres a good amount of fires all the time and wood + electric appliances is about the best firestarter you can get.

chuco61

Joined Jan 21, 2015
This is the way that I think is the best for you:
View attachment 149151
You don't need to have two plugs for this, just wire the two converters in parallel from one plug.
Take a 12V supply that has at least 1.5 times amperage rating than the motor, even 2 times if you buy it from an unreliable seller (i.e. ebay).
Having multiple voltage regulators in series with high voltage and current is considered inefficient, the first one limits the power from the second one while the AC has much more power "available" (It can deliver much more current).
Here is a better question. Can a Flourescent Light ballast be used without ground, OR, can I use a 3 prong cord and ground it to the body of the ballast?

Either mounting to wood or a plastic enclosure... Thanks!

128ITSH

Joined Jul 20, 2017
Here is a better question. Can a Flourescent Light ballast be used without ground, OR, can I use a 3 prong cord and ground it to the body of the ballast?

Either mounting to wood or a plastic enclosure... Thanks!
What do you mean by grounding the 3 wire cord to the body of the Ballast?
What Ballast do you have (do you have any product number)? Does it have an earth/ground connection?
Posting a picture of the Ballast would help.
I believe that if it has a ground/earth connection it will not be safe to leave it without a ground/earth wire to it, though I don't have experience or knowledge about florescent light Ballasts and what types of protection the earth wire gives to them.