Tonight's Libation

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
"It's legal to make limited amounts of wine at home in Alabama, but it's illegal to have more than 15 gallons of homemade wine or beer at a time".

I, and probably many others would be busted here if the limit amounted to only 15US gallons. o_O
I often have 3 carboys (5 IMP gal each) going at any one time of either beer or wine, that does not include the stock already bottled and aging! :cool:
Max.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
So, I watched him light the drinks on fire and wanted to know why? I found this....

Take your drink making skills to the next level to impress all those around you. You may just even impress yourself with this lovely new trick you’ve got to try: Set your drink on fire! There are plenty of good ways to do this, but it is important to know how and why this is done. Always use safety first, and if you or somehow around you is very drunk, then you should wait to make this drink. It is definitely an amazing thing to try. One really good reason an alcoholic drink is set on fire is because the flavor will change. Burning alcohol will lower the liquid content on the drink, creating a tastier and richer drink by it being condensed. It creates warmth; it enriches the flavor and warms up the drink for you. Be sure to blow out the flame before taking the shot. The top reason this trick is done is because it looks incredible! Fire is exciting, and humans are drawn to flames. If it is done the right way, it can be very romantic. You can make a volcano drink to share. It makes for a great date.

Remember that alcohol is flammable on its own. If it’s 80 proof or above, then it will definitely set on fire if a flame is on it. Usually liquor such as Chartreuse will light at room temperature and then float on top of a standard drink. A higher-proof alcohol will float on top of a lower-proof one. Just pour it gently. Before you light the drink, make sure to move any alcohol you don’t want to light on fire. Alcohol burns with a light blue flame. It’s really beautiful, especially on top of another drink. Turn the lights down for a cooler effect. This new trick will create a more fun party for everyone.
kv

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
This could be the best ale on planet earth (although there are several contenders), a Trappist ale (and there really aren't many of these) that's rated 100% by some beer tasting sites:

1614291165439.png

It is brewed at a monastery in their Rochefort Brewery, been brewing stuff since 1595. It's flavor is absolutely sublime, faint hint of sweet, very smooth, no harsh flavors like hops or anything like that, pricey too, often costs about six bucks a bottle.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It looks very much from the one I extracted the yeast from once, it was bottle-carbonated, therefore there is a trace of yeast in the bottle.
It made an excellent Trappist Ale, wish it was still sold here, I would do it again.
It was monastery brewed and came with wired top.
Max..

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
It looks very much from the one I extracted the yeast from once, it was bottle-carbonated, therefore there is a trace of yeast in the bottle.
It made an excellent Trappist Ale, wish it was still sold here, I would do it again.
It was monastery brewed and came with wired top.
Max..
Yes these have traces of yeast, a similar and very good ale who's large bottles do come with wire top is St Bernardus, a very good ale, right up there with the Rochefort.

1614292305359.png
Another superb Trappist (St. Bernardus isn't Trappist but is as good as) is Westmalle, it too comes in large bottles:
1614292573752.png
I had westmalle on tap once in Brussels, pretty much in heaven!