To regulate AI, we need laws, not code of ethics.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
We all know now how AI can change the industries and what its potential is. According to Tim Cook, if we don't act responsibly, effects can be profound and out of our hands.
Here's another perspective with a similar tone.
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...e-ai-new-laws-code-of-ethics-technology-power
Whats your point? We all know that this leads to nothing good, at one point the poverty will be like in the "Dark Ages" which never ended. The whole idea is a few people to have all the money.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Even without AI....we need strict laws for the big techs. Do you want a high tech cult deciding what you read or buy?

Or if you speech is offending? Your religion offending? Your heritage offending?

This is a real problem right now. Jr. High intellect....without adult supervision is very dangerous.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Even without AI....we need strict laws for the big techs. Do you want a high tech cult deciding what you read or buy?

Or if you speech is offending? Your religion offending? Your heritage offending?

This is a real problem right now. Jr. High intellect....without adult supervision is very dangerous.
You mean now for all of these things? Do you know the reasons behind it? How are you going to make 300 000 000 people to change their ways?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
"You mean now for all of these things?" Yes. If I understand you.

"Do you know the reasons behind it?" Yes. PC culture......secular religion.

"How are you going to make 300 000 000 people to change their ways?" Like any other authoritarian tyranny......limit speech, choice and activity. Reinforced by civic mob peer pressure.

In other words......enslave you. Utopia.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
"You mean now for all of these things?" Yes. If I understand you.

"Do you know the reasons behind it?" Yes. PC culture......secular religion.

"How are you going to make 300 000 000 people to change their ways?" Like any other authoritarian tyranny......limit speech, choice and activity. Reinforced by civic mob peer pressure.

In other words......enslave you. Utopia.
Thats not entirely accurate. Its true that through power suppression it will work, however there is 1 major difference between the salve drivers and the real rullers. The slave drivers supress whats right and the rullers supress whats wrong. This is why criminals speak against those who are rullers and the few good ones on this world speak against the slave drivers which ends in terrible ways.

EDIT:
Example for which society will kill me! Stop with the prostitution and showing everything everywhere, stop wanting to ..... every woman in the world and stop sleeping with more than 1 man or more than 1 woman but get married first. Let me see you do that!

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Example for which society will kill me! Stop with the prostitution and showing everything everywhere, stop wanting to ..... every woman in the world and stop sleeping with more than 1 man or more than 1 woman but get married first. Let me see you do that!
I daresay the issue under discussion runs rather deeper than the trivial 'demands' of superficial puritanism-driven 'behavioral aesthetics' - But then, perhaps, the import of your example escapes me?:confused:

Best regards
HP

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
As I recall (as per @Aleph(0) -- whom being, as she is, a 'diehard' Star-trek TOS enthusiast) -- that approach didn't end well Re: Dr. Daystrom's misbehaving machine;)

TTFN
HP:)
Ha ha, yes... By the time we think about doing it, it would have learned to gather energy from other sources i.e. us... Welcome to the machine.

I just read "World without Mind". It is quite good. Talks well about how we ended up here. The monopolies. The taking over of everything. There is some hope, books are not dead, but it is difficult to find quality writing as the likes of Amazon control what gets published... same for everything else...

AI is just like any tech - it requires a combination of rules and a code of ethics. Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? Most tech, in the wrong hands, can be detrimental it just depends to what degree... but a lot of tech can be beneficial also. Again, depends on who is wielding it

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
AI is just like any tech - it requires a combination of rules and a code of ethics. Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? Most tech, in the wrong hands, can be detrimental it just depends to what degree... but a lot of tech can be beneficial also. Again, depends on who is wielding it
Thats true, unfortunately it is in a lot of cases handled by the wrong people, in the wrong way and no one can say or do anything.

marcuskeene

Joined Oct 15, 2018
Thats true, unfortunately it is in a lot of cases handled by the wrong people, in the wrong way and no one can say or do anything.
I think most of what we see/read is over hyped. AI is just a tech with potential and we need to figure out how to use it. Period. When we say most of what is developed is controlled by tech giants, I disagree. Technology is no longer the game of rich only. Anyone anywhere can develop a brilliant tool/app(we have seen quite a bit of this in the past as well). Google's bid to take AI development to a global platform is also one such reason.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
I think most of what we see/read is over hyped. AI is just a tech with potential and we need to figure out how to use it. Period. When we say most of what is developed is controlled by tech giants, I disagree. Technology is no longer the game of rich only. Anyone anywhere can develop a brilliant tool/app(we have seen quite a bit of this in the past as well). Google's bid to take AI development to a global platform is also one such reason.
Technology is in the hands of the giants! There are those who have tried and are still suied by Microsoft, you can check "RAMBUS RAM creators" and see if you will even find anything. The only reason google succeded is because 1 of them is russian.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
They can and they will. They will then sell it to the highest bidder, i.e. facebook or google... Same happens everywhere across the market. Monopoly is not good for anyone. If you dont believe it, come check out cell service prices in Canada

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Technology is in the hands of the giants! There are those who have tried and are still suied by Microsoft, you can check "RAMBUS RAM creators" and see if you will even find anything. The only reason google succeded is because 1 of them is russian.
The russians will tell you that he is jewish