need help to regulate +12V to -55.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by zhangz64, Jun 9, 2013.

  1. zhangz64

    Thread Starter New Member

    May 1, 2013
    Hey guys, I am trying to find a chip that will allow me to regulate a 12VDC input to -55VDC,

    I could not find any thing that goes as low as -55VDC,

    Since, I am new at power management.

    My question is:

    Do those kind of chip even exist(TI chip or chip from other company)?

    if not ,Is there any other way to get -55VDC?
  2. #12


    Nov 30, 2010
    I believe this chip does not exist. The usual way is with a transformer. What you do is to make an AC signal from the DC supply, use a transformer to increase magnitude, and rectify to a negative polarity. Another way is to use a single inductor to do both jobs (increase magnitude and reverse polarity).

    We need some numbers to start with. Tell us how much current you need and how stable the DC supply is. How accurate do you need it? Then we can get to work on which method will work the best. If you don't have hard numbers, start with the purpose of the device.
  3. Dodgydave

    AAC Fanatic!

    Jun 22, 2012
  4. #12


    Nov 30, 2010
    DodgyDave found a good suspect for the right chip. You can probably get the current you need with a minimum of work fitting the right values in.