Tips for preserve electronics devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

micksmelanie

Joined Jun 27, 2020
In that case what would be a dry and cool place in my house to protect electronics? here where I live the temperatures vary from 30-37ºC I keep my electronics inside closed shoe boxes and inside the box I place the device inside a semi-open, slightly open anti-static bag

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Then there are conformal coatings, desiccants, or go whole hog and dry instrument nitrogen gas inert purge and hermetically seal to eliminate oxidation. Realistically, putting them in a plastic garbage bag, boxing and keeping in a closet does wonders. Much better than leaving them in an attic, garage, or shed.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Nothing lasts forever. Organic materials, IE plastic, paper, and rubber, breakdown over time. Metals oxidize. Crystalline materials are fairly inert. Electrolytic capacitors dry out. Most museum pieces have had some or substantial renovation to make them presentable. Vacuum tubes lose vacuum. Like I said, wrap it in plastic, put in a box, and stick it a closet. Then, maybe, cross your fingers and hope for the best. Better yet, sell it and invest your windfall.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
1) Remove the battery.
2) Remove any battery residues with isopropyl alcohol.
3) Clean and dry the unit.
4) Dry silica gel packets in the oven at 125°C for 4 hours.
5) Put the silica gel packet along with the item in a plastic bag and heat seal the bag.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Every time I receive a shipment of electronics or buy a pair of shoes etc. I save the packets of silica gel.
Now I always have silica gel packets handy.

I bought my food heat sealer from the second hand store for a fraction of the price of a new one.

I save strong clean plastic for reuse. I make my own plastic bags from plastic saved.

I am an incurable hoarder and pack-rat.

micksmelanie

Joined Jun 27, 2020
Are naturally ventilated places like the ventilated room day and afternoon more likely to develop moisture and condensation inside the boxes and bags that are stored in that room?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
In a warm, humid environment, which is what you seem to be describing, my major concern would be the humidity. Thick, plastic bags (black preferred) do great for preventing dust. Welding gases, particularly argon, are pretty dry. If you can flush the bag and seal it very tightly, that might help. If you can evacuate the bag, then partially fill with argon or nitrogen, that will lower relative humidity. The advantage of sealing under vacuum is that you can easily see whether the seal is still good.

micksmelanie

Joined Jun 27, 2020
Is it possible to keep a smartphone device stored in the box for long term storage, preventing the non-removable battery with flat cable from becoming swollen and leaking?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Sooner or later components like capacitors will begin to breakdown chemically. You can run but you can't hide from certain forms of deterioration. You can slow the process using certain storage techniques but eventually things deteriorate. I guess part of an answer depends on what we call long term storage? I figure 10 to 20 years is long term. Some people may see 1 to 5 years as long term?

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My brain has been is storage of 47 years. Is there anything I can do to revive it safely? ;)
When I retired we were making systems which would need refueled in 40 years. I remember thing I'll be long dead before these things ever see daylight again. :) If you have any luck with that let me know. :)

Ro

Status
Not open for further replies.