Tiny screws- really annoying or absolutely amazing?

What do you think about tiny screws? How, if at all, do they annoy you? You can select multiple ways

• They are great, and far superior to regular screws!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
Tiny screws, especially if you don't have the right screwdriver, can be really annoying. They get lost, fall into various places you cannot get them out of, and stick to the scissors and other tools you magnetized (this is probably just a problem for me, as I often place them on extremely powerful neodymium magnets). So, what are everyone's thoughts on tiny screws? Were they invented by the DEVIL HIMSELF, or are they great and superior to regular screws?

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
Well, organization isn't exactly my strong suit. And neither is having the right stuff for what I want to do. But I wasn't asking for a solution, just presenting a problem.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Why worry about things you can't change? Just deal with it. If you don't have the correct tool, buy one; and use small zip lock bags to keep track of them. Or use a magnetic parts tray.

Magnetic tools are a plus. They help you get the screws out or started in tight places. Just use good technique to prevent cross threading.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I hate screws in electronic equipment that are big enough to fasten the wheels on an 18 wheel truck and I have to carry an impact wrench in my tool bag. :(

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Tiny screws are wonderful if you have a micro-screwdriver set and the fingers and eyes of a teenager. Not so much when you are 60 years old, need magnifying glasses, and the skin on your fingers is so thick and calloused that you cant feel the difference between a flat and a corner on the nut.:(

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Whatever the size be sure to have the right screwdriver. Did you know that Phillips head were designed to strip out to avoid over torquing? Well techically "cam out". Lots of bolts that you look at and think Phillips are actually not. For example the infamous "B" adjuster screw on bicycle deraileurs are actualy JIS heads that can be easily stripped by a Phillips driver. Details can be found here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips/

Enjoy!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Like any other task, you need the right tools to avoid frustration and possible damage. Taking the brake caliper off a car, you need a long breaker bar and a quality socket. Opening a Mac laptop, you need a #000 philips screwdriver and it doesn't hurt to have a magnifying glass and a magnet (or piece of tape) to immobilize the screws. I really don't see much reason to be annoyed by one situation and not the other. Failure to use the right tools is on you.

The only beef I've had with tiny screws is when they've had a head far wider than the length of the screw. This makes it really tough to start the threads smoothly, to feel or see when it's right. I've never encountered such a screw at larger scale.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Actually, "Torx" screws are the worst and a lot of robotically assembled devices use them.

Torx screws have an internal hex socket, but they also have a little pin in the middle so you can't use an ordinary allen hex set to turn them. :(

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Torx screws have an internal hex socket, but they also have a little pin in the middle so you can't use an ordinary allen hex set to turn them.
Standard Torx screws are star shaped, not hex and do not have a pin in the middle. as shown here:
upload_2018-1-7_22-26-43.png

A version known as Security Torx, Tamper-Resistant Torx (often shortened to Torx TR) or pin-in Torx contains a post in the center of the head that prevents a standard Torx driver (or a straight screwdriver) from being inserted.

Edit: Some time ago I had a device with those security Torx fasteners that I needed to open to repair so I bought a set of the security Torx bits with the hole.
They work on standard Torx fasteners too, of course.

Last edited: