Tiny newbie questions about identifying components

DraxDomax

Joined Apr 5, 2019
Sorry for the silly questions but I cannot seem to be able to google them. Lots of people complaining their "Android notification is/not flashing", etc...

I've recently bought a bag load of all sorts of electronics stuff. Really interesting stuff and good value but some of the components are not marked.
Please help identify, as the seller is not responding :)

In my tests, I supply power to the LED from a 5v DC source, via 1kOhm resistor.

1. I should have two "LED 5mm Flashing, RGB/Clear". By method of elimination, I've found two components that might be them.
They are clear-bodied and seem to have a tiny chip inside the LED.
However, when I connected them to test, the result was: continuous red light from the edge of the LED, cathode-side.
Perhaps 5v isn't the correct voltage to allow flashing?
Also, the position of the light is weird, why isn't it glowing from the centre of the LED?

2. In my "Integrated Circuits" baggy, there are two LED-looking components that don't do anything when connected to the source:
A. A black-bodied, opaque, LED-shaped component
B. A clear-bodied, LED-shaped component. There does not seem to be anything special inside the body. Really looks like a regular clear LED.
I do have two items missing from the "other components list":
"940 transmitter" and "photosensitive receiver" - could these be those (and any guess which is what)?

3. I could not find anything that might be it, on the lists provided. Let me first describe the component and provide pictures only if needed:
It's a torus (with square cross section) made out of something that looks like a magnet but is not actually magnetic. There are some wires looping around it and coming out from each side.
Wild guess - could be something related to radio?

4. I have two items on the "other components" list that I cannot find. I do have two items that don't seem to appear on any list:
The list items:
* Resistor - 56k Resistors Ladder
* AC Line Capacitor - 4n7 M Class X1, 440 VAC, Class Y2, 250 VAC
The loose items:
* A gray cuboid, ~5x12x15mm, two wires coming out. Says: mkp62 275 ~x2, 73k 40/110/56/B
* A yellow strip about the thickness of a ceramic capacitor, 8 pins, Says: 8x-2-560LF, B05501

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
1 rgb led should have 4 connections. You have to figure out the anode and cathode and connect them correctly. I don’t see an issue with 5v but 1k ohm is too high. Try 200-300 ohms instead.

2. Those sound like infrared LED and receiver. You won’t be able to see with your eyes but the clear one powered up will show if you take a picture with your phone camera.

3 sounds like an inductor

4 please post pictures.

DraxDomax

Joined Apr 5, 2019
Picture taken. Sorry for being a little lazy with that. In my defence: I did just sort all my ICs, Transistors and LEDs :)

I will play with the clear IR emitter and the blinking LEDs

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
2A: Infrared photodiode
2B: Infrared LED
3: Very ugly transformer or choke
4A: Capacitor specially rated for use in mains (high voltage) circuits
4B: Resistor array

DraxDomax

Joined Apr 5, 2019
I couldn't get the clear IR LED ("2B") to glow when viewing from camera.
I tried to google some example circuits with this but so far, no mention of how many volts to provide, what resistors, etc... Any guess what I should try?

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
forward voltage about 1.5V. Max current is higher about 30-50mA. Run it on 150-200ohms at 5v should be enough to show on a camera.

DraxDomax

Joined Apr 5, 2019
Oh, I figured it out!
1. The IR LED doesn't show on my phone cam but I could see the secret light on my laptop's webcam.
2. The "Blinking RGB/Clear" LED isn't blinking... It's very slowly transitioning between colours.