Timer switch disco

Molly802

Joined Apr 6, 2024
I’m looking to be able to press a button than will open one circuit and close another for 30 sec. For context, press button, overhea light goes off and disco ball and music come on for 30 sec then switch off overhead light come back on. Thanks

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, for starters it appears that you will be switching mains power to switch off the original lighting. That isquite possible, but for an establishment with general public patronage there are quite a few extra rules that you could ignore doing it in your home. Possibly the Disco ball and light are powered directly from the mains, or maybe not. So that would require a second relay wired to control those. Switching on the disco music will depend onif there is already an available source of disco music audio, or if you need to provide a source of audio that needs to be switched.

All of these things are entirely possible, and it may be that the TS has the skill set and resources to set this up. But none of these is a trivial undertaking if they need to be safe and reliable.

Do you already have the Disco ball and light source? Is there already a source of disco music that can be switched on for the restroom? The amount of detail needed to implement this application depends on the skill set thatMolly802 has, and can draw upon.

The basic monostable circuit like this should work. After pressing a push button PB the timer is fired.
With R and C you can adjust the 30s timing.
Across relay coil is a 100ohm/100uF snubber to dump the coil spikes to avoid secondary triggering when coil is disconnected.
5v6 is a zener diode to shift the opening voltage of PNP from 0.7V to 6V3 (also to avoid secondary trigger).
The relay coil has to be rated for 12V DC.

Attachments

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The basic monostable circuit like this should work. After pressing a push button PB the timer is fired.
With R and C you can adjust the 30s timing.
Across relay coil is a 100ohm/100uF snubber to dump the coil spikes to avoid secondary triggering when coil is disconnected.
5v6 is a zener diode to shift the opening voltage of PNP from 0.7V to 6V3 (also to avoid secondary trigger).
The relay coil has to be rated for 12V DC.
OK on the timer but it is clear that you did not understand the actual requirements.That includes switching on an audio feed to speakers, disconnecting existing lighting, and switching on the disco ball and light.
So there will probably be three relays in parallel.
Now the question is if the TS is able to connect all of that. Which is a very big unknown.
At least I did not understand her qualifications regarding electrical work. Certainly willing to help and instruct, but I an mot at all a mind reader.
If Molly is interested in going farther with this project, please message me and I can provide answers as detailed as are needed. I have done a fair amount of work via email in the past. Happy to help.

Last edited: