Timer 5 sec every 5h

Terfysgol

Joined Jun 22, 2016
Hello everyone,
i'm looking for a circuit that close a contact (or power a relay) for 5 sec every 5h.
The circuit is going to be placed in a very small and sneaky place so smaller is better.
i surf the web and the forum but i couldn't find a circuit that can be used so i want to ask you some sort of suggestions about the materials needed and the circuit.
Thanks a lot
Terfysgol

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello everyone,
i'm looking for a circuit that close a contact (or power a relay) for 5 sec every 5h.
The circuit is going to be placed in a very small and sneaky place so smaller is better.
i surf the web and the forum but i couldn't find a circuit that can be used so i want to ask you some sort of suggestions about the materials needed and the circuit.
Thanks a lot
Terfysgol
How accurately must the circuit abide by 5 hours and by 5 seconds? Real time or 4.7 to 5.3 good enough? Something else?

Once started, does it simply repeat forever?

Will the circuit be battery or wall plug adapter?

What is the coil voltage and current of the relay?

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
If you want physically small then a micro-controller is the answer. Something like a PIC12C508A has everything you need inside including the oscillator. 8-pin DIP. Could be done with a crystal oscillator, cmos divider chain and some logic but will be many components, complex and big.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
How about a PICAXE 08M2?

- No external oscillator needed.
- Cheap.
- 8-pin DIP
- No need to code in assembly. Program in BASIC.
- Development software is free.
- They provide a sample 4 or 5 line program to flash an LED. That could be adjusted to do 5 seconds on every 5 hours.

Downside: you need a serial port to program it. Either you need an old computer that has one, or need to buy a USB-to-serial converter (not too expensive on eBay).

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
How about a PICAXE 08M2?

Downside: you need a serial port to program it. Either you need an old computer that has one, or need to buy a USB-to-serial converter (not too expensive on eBay).
Lots of USB to serial converters don't work with PICAXE due to inverted logic; problem can be solved with a couple of transistor inverters. Or you can buy the AXE-027 USB programming cable for about $20.