timed power cut off relay. help

ameripip3

Joined Mar 11, 2015
Ok, we have a 110 bell at work with a button to ring it on the front counter. As long as you are pushing it, it rings loud. As you can imagine some people think it's fun to piss you of and keep ringing it. I want to make it where you can only ring it for a moment then have to wait roughly 2 minutes until it will let you ring it again.

I'm thinking a momentary push button for the first burst then a timed relay of some sort. Can someone help me out please?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Many ways to skin this cat.

I have presented the insides of a timer that refuses to let the bell restart for 2 minutes to 5 minutes, but it doesn't limit the first ring and it's designed for 24 VAC. Some of them are designed for 120 VAC. The point is, these things are available as a finished product in your local air conditioning wholesale store.

Another way is to use an LM555 timer with a lockout circuit during the second part of the timing period. This would involve building a DC power supply.

Are you looking to assemble something or buy something?
How good are you at analog design?

Attachments

ameripip3

Joined Mar 11, 2015
Many ways to skin this cat.

I have presented the insides of a timer that refuses to let the bell restart for 2 minutes to 5 minutes, but it doesn't limit the first ring and it's designed for 24 VAC. Some of them are designed for 120 VAC. The point is, these things are available as a finished product in your local air conditioning wholesale store.

Another way is to use an LM555 timer with a lockout circuit during the second part of the timing period. This would involve building a DC power supply.

Are you looking to assemble something or buy something?
How good are you at analog design?
It would be cool to build something for the experience but not needed. If I can buy something for cheap enough the awesome. Just give me a part number if you want, haha. Some days I'm ready to just cut the wires so they can't ring it anymore. Thanks for the reply btw.

ameripip3

Joined Mar 11, 2015
Oh and I'm not very familiar with schematics so that drawing doesn't make any sense to me. Basically you would have to tell me what parts to buy and what order to wire/solder. Thanks

ameripip3

Joined Mar 11, 2015
I'm not willing to drag you through days of assembling this.

http://www.icmcontrols.com/DelayonB...-time-delay-universal-18240-VAC-Prodview.html

http://www.zoro.com/i/G1959745/?gclid=COeZzKnaocQCFcsjgQodu1cAgw

These still won't limit the first ring time, but they are cheap and easy.
Thanks, I was acutely looking at that same part earlier, just didn't know if i needed delay on or off.

Ok, would a momentary button in front of a delay on relay simular to that switch do the same thing but with a limited first ring?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You can use a 555 timer with a one shot pulse , this will ring the bell for say 1 to 2 seconds, then lock out for 5 seconds, even if the push button is held down it will only work once , until the push button is released for 5 seconds.

555.png 555.png

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I don't think what you want here is a delay on or delay off. What I believe you want is a pair of One Shot Relay Timers. The button is pressed and both timers start a timing cycle. The button is wired through the normally closed contacts of Timer 2. Timer 1 closes its normally open contacts powering the bell for a short duration that you set. Pressing the button repeatedly won't do anything until timer 2 times out preventing timer 1 from doing anything. Make for example Timer 1 a three second ring and Timer 2 set for your 1 or 2 min. Essentially Timer 2 locks out the bell and prevents retriggering of Timer 1 till it times out.

What's the difference between On Delay, Off Delay, Single Shot, Interval On and all these other time delay functions? The link is a good read on the subject. Anyway, my thinking for your application is a pair of "One Shot" relay timers having a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) relay output that you configure and timing that you configure. You only need to add a simple pot (resistor) to these things and connecting them is easily done.

Ron

GUlNNESS

Joined Apr 17, 2017
Been a few years, if you have questions related to the thread topic it would likely be wise just to start another thread and ask.

Ron
Hello Reloadron
Fair point
You wouldn't happen to have a circuit diagram of the solution you gave?
It looks like exactly what I am after

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
What is it exactly you want to do? When we want timing solutions we need to choose a type of timer. One circuit I have suggested is a Two-Stage timer originally found in an old Redio Shack booklet authored by Forrest M. Mims III, here is an example of that circuit:
Two Stage Timer.gif

Check the link back in post #9 and determine exactly what you want and need. Then maybe we can come up with a solution, be it me or another member.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Yes, a 556 is merely two 555 timers in a single package. The end result is a two stage timer where the first stage triggers the second stage.

Ron

GUlNNESS

Joined Apr 17, 2017
By all means... :)

Ron
Hello Ron,
I have tried to replicate the circuit on a virtual breadboard - auto desk circuits.io
Attached are the breadboard and circuit layouts

circuits.io can run REALLY slowly but still doesn't seem to do what i want it to do
Can you take a few minutes and tell me if the attached files are a replication of the original circuit please?
Original - IMG_1633.gif now called 555delay.gif
Breadboard - v2 Breadboard.gif
Circuit - v2 Circuit.gif

Attachments

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Those look correct to me. All we are doing is cascading two timers each configured as a 555 One Shot so the first timer is triggered, creates a time delay and then the second timer is triggered. 555 timer Mono stable (one shot) circuit gives a good example of what we are doing. A single momentary button press starts the process going in this case. Timing is controlled by the values of the timing resistor / Capacitor (RC Network) on pins 6&7 joined.

Ron