time diagram

alitronic

Joined Jun 13, 2020
Hello, I would like to know what software can generate time diagrams like this
1677187265893.png
And if it's possible to do it with Isis Proteus?

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Hello. Don't think you need software. But it's possible to do it with software. Me? I see two Double D Flip-Flops. The first divides your clock into two outputs. The second FF divides that by two. That's just using a single DDFF. One more DDFF and you further divide by two by two. I see you're using the negative going edge as trigger. While I'm not very versed in chips - I'm sure there must be something out there that can give you a negative edge trigger.

In other words, two DDFF's gives you
Q1) 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1
Q2) 0 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1
Q3) 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0
Q4) 0 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1

I know - that's a poor display of your graph, but it does the same thing with just two DDFF's and a clock input. If you don't "NEED" a negative edge trigger then the CD4013 is a starting point. And no coding to write.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Creating the timing chart for a logic circuit is not difficult but it can be very tedious. It is often the only way to verify the functionality of a design without building the design. There are logic simulators able to do it, I have not used one in over 30 years.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I use 1/4 inch spaced because it allows more room for notes, and edge-triggered symbols. And probably your vision is better.
I use the light-lined vellum. When you scan it, the lines don't show up.

And my eyes are crap. I have six pairs of cheaters on my desk from which I select depending on what I'm trying to see.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I use the light-lined vellum. When you scan it, the lines don't show up.

And my eyes are crap. I have six pairs of cheaters on my desk from which I select depending on what I'm trying to see.
I use both 0.1 vellum and 1/4” graph paper. I have notebooks that I had made with my company logo filled with 1/4 ruled pages for designing with a pencil.

And I also have multiple cheaters on my desk for the same reason you do.

Edit: Corrected typo

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Would it surprise anyone that I still use 0.1" ruled graph paper?

I find a pencil helps me distill my thoughts far better than a computer.
The surprise for me is that you don't use the 1mm ruled graph paper ... but I very strongly suggest you consider upgrading to something like the Kindle Scribe. I've just bought one and it's changing my life for the better.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Dude...I have more electronics -- of all sorts -- than you can imagine. I can't write or think on a screen. Just AAC and YouTube.

My best tool for recording my thoughts is...my mind.
So do I but I still use paper to thrash out ideas. That means I still have my original thoughts in manuscripts from decades before. I don't have faith in modern devices data lasting that long.
1677294192070.png

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
So do I but I still use paper to thrash out ideas. That means I still have my original thoughts in manuscripts from decades before. I don't have faith in modern devices data lasting that long.
View attachment 288339
The kindle scribe is an e-ink device. It does look and feels like ordinary paper. Plus all handwritten notes are saved in the cloud and/or in your personal server. It takes the hell of a lot less space than the dozens of notebooks that I have in store, and the hundreds (if not thousands) of books that I've read. Plus it has search and indexing capabilities.

I'm honestly trying to migrate to a completely paperless experience. Not because I'm an activist, but rather because it's far more practical and convenient.