TIL (Today I Learned)

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I don't do Facebook but I am on Nextdoor, and boy I'm glad I am. Today I learned that the worst kind of home wiring fault is an open circuit because they can heat up and so you have to shut off the breaker right away.

All these years and I find out about this only now?! I blame all of you for not bringing it to my attention earlier. I think I might have to move all of my electronics discussions over there. Sorry, but that's where the experts are, apparently.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Do you mean "open circuit" or "resistive circuits"?

In one house I discovered that the house was wired with aluminum but the breakers in the breaker box were designed for copper. Every now and then I would have to take my screwdrive and tighten the screws that had started to come loose on the breakers, otherwise they would trip from the heat. Or are you referring to something else all together. (An open circuit should not draw current...should it?)

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I would have thought an open circuit was what a circuit breaker would do but apparently that’s a different open circuit than the one that happens somewhere else and open circuits heat up!

(I hope my sarcasm is clear. Every time a clueless homeowner asks an electrical question “experts” come out of the woodwork with the most marvelous theories about how house wiring works.)

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I don't do Facebook but I am on Nextdoor, and boy I'm glad I am. Today I learned that the worst kind of home wiring fault is an open circuit because they can heat up and so you have to shut off the breaker right away.

All these years and I find out about this only now?! I blame all of you for not bringing it to my attention earlier. I think I might have to move all of my electronics discussions over there. Sorry, but that's where the experts are, apparently.
Thanks for sharing that. I thought you would have known that. This is because in an open circuit the flow of current is so miniscule and such a low current is not even measurable making it very dangerous. This is especially true in home residential circuits because as we all know Edison demonstrated how dangerous AC current can be. :)

Ron

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010

What the ………”” ……… is Nextdoor? Your new website? This post is leading but, not sure where? Somewhat rhetorical, or from others posting above looks like it should be in the jokes thread.

I’m waiting to see where this goes.

kv

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
What the ………”” ……… is Nextdoor? Your new website? This post is leading but, not sure where? Somewhat rhetorical, or from others posting above looks like it should be in the jokes thread.

I’m waiting to see where this goes.

kv
Nextdoor is a sort of hyperlocal Facebook. It's neighborhood focused and people ask all sorts of questions about homes there among other things like reporting "crimes" and complaining.

When people ask electrical questions the answers range from reasonable, to very good, to oddball magical stuff.

My comment was on that. Sort of blowing off steam. I am one voice in the storm sometimes.

[EDIT: Fixed spellcheck error]

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Nextdoor is a sort of hyperlocal Facebook. It's neighborhood focused and people ask all sorts of equations about homes there among other things like reporting "crimes" and complaining.

When people ask electrical questions the answers range from reasonable, to very good, to oddball magical stuff.

My comment was on that. Sort of blowing off steam. I am one voice in the storm sometimes.
Thank you for addressing me directly. At first I was somewhat angry, yet amused. Now I can share your pain.

kv

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
He's a financial adviser - he doesn't know a thing about hydrogen fuel cells. But he still wanted to tell me how they "worked".
(Thought we would no longer need electric motors for fuel-cell-driven vehicles)
Which makes one wonder if he actually knows anything about financial advising, or is that the joke lol

kv

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I had a meeting with my financial adviser yesterday - he told me all about hydrogen fuel cells. . . . . .
From that I didn't get the joke since so many of the financial advisors I know are retired engineers who slipped into financial advising mid- to late-career as a pre-retirement job. Most of them could chew your ear off about technology.

now you show the rest of the information that made your first post funny only for you.
He's a financial adviser - he doesn't know a thing about hydrogen fuel cells. But he still wanted to tell me how they "worked".
(Thought we would no longer need electric motors for fuel-cell-driven vehicles)
maybe your first post should have been formulated to include the right info from your second post - something like this...

"I had a meeting with my financial adviser yesterday - he told me cars of the future will no longer need electric motors with the great innovations in hydrogen fuel cells. . . . . ."

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
The internet works morely like a jacka$$ than a safe place for human beeing.and it dosn't matter it's Nextdoor,FB,or AAC.
this week I finished level 1000 in Angry Birds 2 after couple of months without paying even a buck and think what happend?
The apple ID suddenly was blocked and I lost access to game progress and backup data without any reactivation chance.
Besides that I'm called to get back to University after 3 idle years where the folks they don't have any sense about Copyright Rules. and so it begins...