Thyristor as switch

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Yes, i understand this so the toggle button will off so the circuit power will off as well the thyristor
No, apparently you don't understand.
An SCR operates as a latch that will keep conducting even when the gate signal is removed.
It only stops conducting when its anode-cathode current stops.
Thus the switch to turn off the SCR needs to be in series with the motor and SCR.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Your power sources need to share common, I covered that. I gave you a basic schematic. I am sorry but most of the people who would like to help would appreciate a schematic. Reading a crayon picture is difficult at best. I have no idea what the red button is all about? Would that be N/O or N/C? As mentioned, once you turn a SCR On in a DC circuit it's on and remains on till the load power is broken. I have no idea what you are doing on the gate circuit? Go back and look at post #10 and work from that. Label your parts as to pinout and what the switches are.

Ron

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I'm not absolutely sure about thyristors and brushed motors. Will the commutator cause enough interruptions in the current to de-latch the thyristor? Does it depend on the commutator and the design of the brushes?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Yes, it can be done that way, but why?
Now you need two power supplies, and one is floating awkwardly at the cathode voltage, which could be either0V or 12V.

Momentory

Joined Sep 4, 2022
To see the post on #10 posted by Ron, so you just need one voltage.
Yes i know and i understood how to use it with one power supply, but i want to learn to use two power supply

As some applications will need more than power supply.

I just want to learn to use more than one power supply

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Yes i know and i understood how to use it with one power supply, but i want to learn to use two power supply

As some applications will need more than power supply.

I just want to learn to use more than one power supply
So you need to know the Vg of SCR, you should compare two circuits.