Thyristor as a switch

Momentory

Joined Sep 4, 2022
Assuming i have a circuit like this

Batteries 220v - Capacitor 300v 1000uf - thyristor 1200v- 50A - load

Connected AAA battery with required thyristor gate voltage and current to switch the thyristor on

(It is assuming circuit not i won't to make, just want understanding how thyristor and capacitor work in same circuit)

Screenshot_20220904-204607_Electric Circuit Studio.jpg

My question
Will the thyristor turn off when the cap discharged?

Note the cap will be charged immediately after discharging

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020

Connected AAA battery with required thyristor gate voltage and current to switch the thyristor on

(It is assuming circuit not i won't to make, just want understanding how thyristor and capacitor work in same circuit)

View attachment 275619

My question

Yes, it would, but you have a 220V voltage source that is keeping it charged.
(Your thyristor is the wrong way round, and the main circuit has no earth reference, so it would never switch on)

Momentory

Joined Sep 4, 2022
Yes, it would, but you have a 220V voltage source that is keeping it charged.
(Your thyristor is the wrong way round, and the main circuit has no earth reference, so it would never switch on)
Sorry i am not sure i understand you

Regardless the thyristor direction and the ground of main circuit
I mad this circuit fast just as assuming

i just want to know will the thyristor turn off after cap discharged and there is a power supply will charge the cap

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
The thyristor turns off when the anode current falls below the holding current.
However, the datasheet will only specify a maximum holding current. The minimum holding current, below which the device is guaranteed to switch off is unlikely to be specified.

Momentory

Joined Sep 4, 2022
The thyristor turns off when the anode current falls below the holding current.
However, the datasheet will only specify a maximum holding current. The minimum holding current, below which the device is guaranteed to switch off is unlikely to be specified.
After capacitor discharged the current should be zero, right?
Or as the cap will immediately charging the current will not be zero?

Momentory

Joined Sep 4, 2022
That would hypothetically work, but the holding current of a 50A thyrsitor would probably be less than 100mA
The whole circuit is hypothetically , i am just trying to understand the relation between power supply, cap and thyristor in one circuit

Thanks for really usefull info
I really appreciate

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013

View attachment 275619

My question

V1 is reversed. The SCR will never conduct. Correct the polarity of V1.

The Thyristor requires a Gate current to turn ON. The way the schematic is drawn, there is no way to turn on the Thyristor.
The -ve of V2 will need to be connected to the -ve of V1 (after correcting the polarity). You will also need to put a current limiting resistor in series with the SCR gate.

R1 is the load through which the Capacitor will discharge. If you put a resistor R2 in series with V1 +ve (after polarity correction), then when the SCR fires, the capacitor will discharge and if the current flow through R2 ( ~ V1/ (R1 + R2) is less than the minimum holding current of the SCR, yes , it will turn OFF.