Thoughts on Plagiarism?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Thoughts on plagiarism,
I watched the recent PBS show 'Finding Your Roots' where one of the participants was screen writer Norman Lear, I was surprised to see him appear to take credit for a couple of very popular N.A. shows 'All in the Family' and Sanford & Son'.
I have seen others credit him with the ideas for these shows but put it down to ignorance on the part of the writer.
It is public knowledge that these were plagiarized from two UK shows namely 'Til Death Us Do Part' and 'Steptoe & Son'. even in some cases down to the exact script.
I have seen both versions and can confirm it.
Max.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am fearst hearing songs of Tom Lehrer when 12 I was. Laughing has not yet completed.

Actually I was aware of the adaptation of British Comedy shows for the American market. We know it works in one direction, but are there any examples of it working in the opposite direction. I have a feeling that our humor may land with a thud on English sensibilities. About theese I know from nothing!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I don't recall any, growing up in the UK, I grew up with the likes of The Goon Show, Monty-Python & TW3 with David Frost and all the other anti-establishment comedy programs.
I think one reason was all the all the writing talent that abounded then and the abundance of slightly eccentric behavior of the British in general provided a wealth of material.:p
PBS sure makes most of the British comedy shows in their line-up.
Max.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
PBS sure makes most of the British comedy shows in their line-up.

Maybe that is a good thing. I'm not sure the British are all that interested in exporting their culture anymore.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Thoughts on plagiarism? Well I for one am all for it! :D

I know it made writing long semi coherent essays in college way easier for me. :p

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Nice. Thanks Max. I too enjoy the Opera, and although it is arguably not the most noteworthy piece this is nonetheless my favorite.

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
Thanks Max
I have a lot of recordings of the Goon Show but I haven't been able to upload them. They are audio but the computer does not recognize the MP3 file extension.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Plagiarism is a tough call. It may be one of those things that "you know it when you see it". If I write a blues song today, no one would accuse me of plagiarism even though the musical structure would be indistinguishable from a Muddy Waters classic. But if I also lift lyrics from a Muddy Waters song, then it becomes an issue. But I suppose no one knows exactly who invented the blues, so there is no one to cry foul. (We all know it was the devil, acting through Robert Johnson at the crossroads)

Other songs have been deemed plagiarism just from the melody and/or beat.

I think Norman Lear's work rises above "homage" and meets the criteria of plagiarism.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Plagiarism is a tough call. It may be one of those things that "you know it when you see it". If I write a blues song today, no one would accuse me of plagiarism even though the musical structure would be indistinguishable from a Muddy Waters classic. But if I also lift lyrics from a Muddy Waters song, then it becomes an issue. But I suppose no one knows exactly who invented the blues, so there is no one to cry foul. (We all know it was the devil, acting through Robert Johnson at the crossroads)

Other songs have been deemed plagiarism just from the melody and/or beat.

I think Norman Lear's work rises above "homage" and meets the criteria of plagiarism.
I don't disagree, but all derivative works, including electronic designs have some elements of plagiarism. I'll gladly cop the the fact, that I have studied other designs, and lifted bits and pieces from them. Most of what I know about keyboards and 7-segment LED displays I learned from the folks at MOS Technology who documented their ideas in 3 books on the KIM-1.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
But I assume you never took credit for them and published them under your name.;)
Max.
That is correct, I don't think I have ever published a circuit in the traditional sense of receiving remuneration for doing so. I may have posted circuits and simulations on this site or others without attribution, but I can't be sure.