Thoughts on my 7 segment display?

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
Hi All,

I’ve been working on this project for some time now and I’m at point where I’m unsure if I should rethink the design do to readability.

So I designed these PCB stepper motors with a built in reduction, with each stepper motor representing a single segment in a 7 segment display. Looking for people to share there opinion.

Thanks,
Kevin

Attachments

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
It's a 7 segment display. Each segment rotates showing either black or white making up a number. The attached image shows a five.

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
It might be a little better if the segment faces were square. But that could cause collision problems, you'd need to program around.
I'm thinking on changing the shape but collisions like you mentioned does create a problem to would need to be addressed.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I'm thinking on changing the shape but collisions like you mentioned does create a problem to would need to be addressed.
Just activate the segments with a short delay to avoid collisions. Change the horizontal segments first, then the top two vertical segments followed by the bottom two vertical segments. The delay need only be long enough to allow the corners to clear the fouling points and otherwise can be nearly simultaneous.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
@bertus

Your picture gave me an idea. Rotating a segment orthogonally to its axis, requires more time to change (and more speed) and is more sensitive to positioning.

If @KCHARROIS were to rotate the segments axially, the force needed, the distance to travel would be minimized, would complete faster and be less dependent on positioning.

As far as positioning, one could use tiny neodymium magnets and Hall sensors to provide feedback on the segment’s position. But that may be overkill

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
@bertus

Your picture gave me an idea. Rotating a segment orthogonally to its axis, requires more time to change (and more speed) and is more sensitive to positioning.

If @KCHARROIS were to rotate the segments axially, the force needed, the distance to travel would be minimized, would complete faster and be less dependent on positioning.

As far as positioning, one could use tiny neodymium magnets and Hall sensors to provide feedback on the segment’s position. But that may be overkill
@djsfantasi
Could you elaborate on rotating the segments axially?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You have taken a step backwards.

1606149534099.png

Why would anyone want to use mechanics when light output is so much more easy to implement.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I've been thinking about building a "geek clock" for a while now... your idea might be the perfect fit for said project :)
I can’t draw it, but consider one segment. The stepper would be mounted outside the outline of the 7 segments so that its axle is in line with the middle of the segment. The segment would be a cylinder with a diameter of the segment width and along the axis, would be painted with black stripes.

Using some numbers for an example, if the segment length is 2” and it’s width is 1/2”, to move your design requires the stepper to move 1.57”. With an axial mount, the stepper would only have to move 1/2 the distance or 0.78”.

Plus the mass of the segments would be much less. Also, instead of a cylinder, you could use a segment with two 1/2”x2” rectangles glued into an X