This website is virtually inaccessible to the blind

soc7

Joined Dec 19, 2019
Hello,

Your website developers should:

1) On a Windows computer, using Chrome or any other browser, use screen reading software, JAWS and NVDA are the most commonly used screen readers, cover their computer screen, and try to sign up for your site, log in to your site, and navigate your site.

2) On an IOS device, tell Siri to "turn on Voice Over", IOS's built-in screen reader, and turn on "screen curtain" by doing a 3-finger triple tap, then try to sign up for your site, log in to your site, and navigate your site.

I can't tell you how many dozens of hours, yes, dozens of hours, I've spent simply trying to get to where I want to be on your site. It usually takes sighted help to do things -- and sighted help costs money.

As an aside, even though the "keep me logged in" checkbox is checked, your sight doesn't keep me logged in. I tried this several times and had a sighted person confirm this. The sighted person also confirmed that the focus jumped around to odd places when the Tab key was pressed. The Tab key, when a site is properly coded, moves the focus through a Tab sequence of controls like hyperlink anchors, buttons, edit boxes, checkboxes, and so forth. Also, many of your buttons are unlabeled.

Try looking at the World Wide Web Consortium's website and their Web Accessibility Initiative. The W3C is responsible for all things to do with html, including html specifications.

Thank you,
soc7

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Are you using the orange version or classic/vintage blue version?

That might affect the login, as I stay logged in on the blue site, but not the orange site. I have to use CTRL + R to login on the orange site.

soc7

Joined Dec 19, 2019
"What are the Orange version and the Blue classic/vintage version? How do I tell the difference? Does each have its own URL? If so, what are the URLs? Do they provide the same content?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Same URL. You will have to ask a sighted person the color.

You can check by clicking on your name, select "preferences", then style, click on right buttons and be sure AAC Classic is selected. The orange option is known euphemistically as AAC2.

soc7

Joined Dec 19, 2019
The inaccessibility problems are throughout the website, including the forums and articles. I'd be happy to talk with someone about details.

For now, I know I can benefit greatly from the people who contribute, and hopefully, I'll be able to contribute. For now, I'm learning the basics about the electrical engineering field.