thermometre RS232

zaineb

Joined Apr 18, 2023
i have a project my work is to do a thermometre rs232 with microcontroller pic18f452 and the services of osa rtos using micro c ans isis i didnt know how to start can someone help me doing it

zaineb

Joined Apr 18, 2023
no its just a mini project without tools so far
meanwhile i have to work first with micro c and isis using osa rtos and pic18f452 to make the thermometre work

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
no its just a mini project without tools so far
meanwhile i have to work first with micro c and isis using osa rtos and pic18f452 to make the thermometre work
If this is just a 'mundane' thermometer, an RTOS is complete overkill. The code would be very simple and short. What is the 'requirements' for the project? I need more specifics in order to help. A block diagram of what you have in mind would also be helpful.

zaineb

Joined Apr 18, 2023
In this project, a thermometer is designed. A temperature probe can be used to measure the temperature. The voltage to be measured is applied to one of the analog inputs of a PIC18F452 microcontroller. The microcontroller reads the analog voltage representing the temperature, converts it to digital, and then sends it to the PC via RS232 serial communication by pressing the push button. A LED diode is added to flash every 600 milliseconds. A PIC 18F452 with a clock frequency of 20MHz is used. The read() task is executed every 600ms and flashes the LED on the RB0 port pin to indicate that the system is working. The measure() task measures the voltage value on an analog input representing the temperature. The send() task scans a button press and writes the temperature value on the Hyper Terminal chain via RS232.

The work required is to provide a complete description of all the tasks and services of the OSA RTOS that will be used based on the specifications. Write the code for this application using the mikroC software for PIC and the OSA RTOS services while adhering to the data in the specifications. Create the schematics for the application. Design an experimental platform for the application using ISIS software. Simulate your application using the debugger of the mikroC software and the ISIS software.

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
In this project, a thermometer is designed. A temperature probe can be used to measure the temperature. The voltage to be measured is applied to one of the analog inputs of a PIC18F452 microcontroller. The microcontroller reads the analog voltage representing the temperature, converts it to digital, and then sends it to the PC via RS232 serial communication by pressing the push button. A LED diode is added to flash every 600 milliseconds. A PIC 18F452 with a clock frequency of 20MHz is used. The read() task is executed every 600ms and flashes the LED on the RB0 port pin to indicate that the system is working. The measure() task measures the voltage value on an analog input representing the temperature. The send() task scans a button press and writes the temperature value on the Hyper Terminal chain via RS232.

The work required is to provide a complete description of all the tasks and services of the OSA RTOS that will be used based on the specifications. Write the code for this application using the mikroC software for PIC and the OSA RTOS services while adhering to the data in the specifications. Create the schematics for the application. Design an experimental platform for the application using ISIS software. Simulate your application using the debugger of the mikroC software and the ISIS software.
ok, thanks for that detail.
In order to design the probe/temperature circuit I need some information about that:
- What is the temperature range that is being measured (min and max)?
- What is the probe measuring the temperature of? The material is critical. A bath of liquid material? Is it corrosive? What is the nature of the probe? Is it a probe with a long interface back to the microcontroller/conditioning circuit? You get the idea.
- With what accuracy and speed does the probe require?

The answers to those questions determines the appropriate probe. There are a lot of choices, a thermocouple for wide temperature ranges and possibly corrosive environments, an RTD for something not as extreme. etc.

We have to start by simply designing an appropriate probe that can handle the temperature range, the accuracy required and the material (corrosive etc..) that has to be handled.

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
the prof didnt mention any type of probe
but i think that any type can be appropriate
what do recommand
By Prof, I suspect you mean 'professor'? I take it this is some sort of assignment for college? Do I have that correct?
The probe type depends entirely on what you are trying to measure. For example, if it is as simple as ambient room temperature, than a simple IC chip with an I2C, SPI or UART interface is fine and it can be on the same PCB as the microcontroller, especially if it only requires like +/- 1C accuracy. If you are trying to measure say the temperature of a wood stove that can be as high as 500F, that will never work and you need a thermocouple.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
i have a project my work is to do a thermometre rs232 with microcontroller pic18f452 and the services of osa rtos using micro c ans isis i didnt know how to start can someone help me doing it
Hello there,

I dont know if this will help because i dont really know your background, but the way you usually do this kind of project is you start out with smaller projects and learn how each peripheral works and how to access it.
You might start with a simple blink LED program that gets you a little familiar with the basic startup code needed for that processor. You can then go on to blink more LEDs or run a display or something like that.
If your PIC has an RS232 interface peripheral you can use that but you might have to carefully read the data sheet and/or start with code that already does that.

So really you do smaller projects then work your way up to the larger ones. You dont jump right in with an advanced type of application like air plane guidance.