The voltage shown on the voltage meter

Nicky1990

Joined Dec 21, 2016
Using superposition in this situation kind of confuses me? I actually made that diagram using Proteus, where the voltage meter is, is suppose to be an open circuit for thevenin's theorem, maybe I messed up by putting in the voltage meter?

RBR1317

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Initially, just forget that the meter is there. What is the circuit? Two batteries & two resistors. Can you find the voltage drop across each resistor?

Nicky1990

Joined Dec 21, 2016
What I do know is

I = (25 + 35) / (9 + 4)

I can work out potential difference across the resistors but I'm confused what I'm subtracting it from and the direction of stuff. I assumed the 25V battery is going in the direction of the 9ohm resistor but as there isn't any voltage drop at the junction of the open circuit, I always think that shouldn't all 25 volts go down there? Then the same for 35V as it goes the other way...And as they appose each other it would give a net voltage of 10V...

As you can see I'm a mess ;x help :(

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Here's how you solve it with superposition.
The small plate of the batteries are positive.
Calculate the voltage across the meter with Bat2 replaced by a short circuit.
Then replace Bat2 and calculate the voltage across the meter with Bat1 replaced with a short circuit.
(If it helps your calculations, you can ground the minus side of the meter.)

Add the two voltages (observing the polarity) and you will have the correct answer.

RBR1317

Joined Nov 13, 2010
But doing superposition means calculating the loop voltage drops twice in order to add the voltages. Better to add the battery voltages once, then calculate the loop voltage drops once.

Superposition violates the Law of Wally.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
But doing superposition means calculating the loop voltage drops twice in order to add the voltages. Better to add the battery voltages once, then calculate the loop voltage drops once.

Superposition violates the Law of Wally.
It's easier for me to calculate the voltages drops twice and subtract once as compared to calculating the voltages drops once and figuring out how to add/subtract the battery voltages to get the correct answer (which is what the OP is having a problem with).

That's this Wally's law. :rolleyes:

But to each his own. :)

The small plate of the batteries are positive.
Calculate the voltage across the meter with Bat2 replaced by a short circuit.
Then replace Bat2 and calculate the voltage across the meter with Bat1 replaced with a short circuit.
(If it helps your calculations, you can ground the minus side of the meter.)

Add the two voltages (observing the polarity) and you will have the correct answer.
This seems to be contrary to convention: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_symbol

and would result in a reading on the meter of -6.54 volts.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What I do know is

I = (25 + 35) / (9 + 4)

I can work out potential difference across the resistors but I'm confused what I'm subtracting it from and the direction of stuff. I assumed the 25V battery is going in the direction of the 9ohm resistor but as there isn't any voltage drop at the junction of the open circuit, I always think that shouldn't all 25 volts go down there? Then the same for 35V as it goes the other way...And as they appose each other it would give a net voltage of 10V...

As you can see I'm a mess ;x help :(
Get in the habit of properly tracking your units. You should have

I = (25 V + 35 V) / (9R + 4R) = (60 V) / (13R)

Now annotate the diagram with the this current showing the direction in which it is flowing. Ignore the meter -- physically delete it from the drawing if you need to.

Now start at the node that the negative terminal of the meter is (or was) connected to. Call that node 0 V (you get to do that for exactly one node in the circuit).

Then toss a coin and choose to either follow the circuit clockwise or counter clockwise from there.

The just walk one component at a time along that path and calculate the voltage on the other side of the component starting with the voltage on the near side and taking into account the voltage drop/gain across the component.

Take you best shot at doing this and post the results (including the appropriate annotated diagram, if possible).

anhnha

Joined Apr 19, 2012
Get in the habit of properly tracking your units. You should have

I = (25 V + 35 V) / (9R + 4R) = (60 V) / (13R)
The resistors notation is confusing but from the result shown by volt meter, the resistances of R1 and R3 should be 4 ohms and 9 ohms, respectively not 4R and 9R as symbolic values.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The resistors notation is confusing but from the result shown by volt meter, the resistances of R1 and R3 should be 4 ohms and 9 ohms, respectively not 4R and 9R as symbolic values.
That's possible. A common notation on schematics (particularly in days past) was to use the units multiplier (m. k. M. etc) as the decimal point and, if there was no multiplier, use R (for a resistor) instead.

In this case it doesn't really matter since you will get the same results regardless of what you choose for R.

anhnha

Joined Apr 19, 2012
Why ??
For R you can pick any real number you like.
For R = 2.2kΩ we have
4R = 4*2.2kΩ = 8.8kΩ
9R = 9*2.2kΩ = 19.8kΩ

For this case (4Ω and 9Ω) we have R = 1Ω
That's possible. A common notation on schematics (particularly in days past) was to use the units multiplier (m. k. M. etc) as the decimal point and, if there was no multiplier, use R (for a resistor) instead.

I didn't know that!

In this case it doesn't really matter since you will get the same results regardless of what you choose for R.
Oh, yes, my mistake. You are right. The result remains the same no matter which value of R.