The sad side of Internet friends…

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
We do love our home and the riverside location. If I understand your question, the answer is that I have a property line that extends slightly into the river. That doesn't shift. If the river rose, I could build (a larger) deck to reclaim usable property there. If the river left our bank dry, I would just have dry land. The property doesn't respect the river's edge, per se. It is a line that stays fixed relative to the survey of the dry land.

On the other hand, the river does have implications. In most states I know about, if there is a navigable river, it is not-quite-owned by the property owner. It is a state thing, and it means anyone can use it for transit, so long as they are in the water and not on the land. If the river moved away, they couldn't walk on the dry land because it was once navigable.

There are different regulations and laws in different states, so you have to look to that. But I think it is largely similar.
Ok, thanks for that. But I'm still left wondering, if the river permanently moved away from your property a good distance, let's say 100ft, and let's say you have (had) ~200ft of waterfront, there is now about half an acre of uninhabited land between your property line and the river's new location. Who owns it? Is it forbidden/protected land in perpetuity because it was once a navigable waterway?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Follow up question... possibly being answered as I type... but, you are allowed to build up your waterfront to prevent erosion; in the same way are you also allowed to dredge the water in front of your land, to prevent the river leaving your shore? If so, how far out can you dredge?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
We do love our home and the riverside location. If I understand your question, the answer is that I have a property line that extends slightly into the river.
Our residence back on to the river, you used to be able to build right up to the river, but now the city requires some easement just in from the river. The river bank itself as well as the river comes under Federal jurisdiction.

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
I'm not sure the word "sad" is enough for the present situation of friendship in internet.
BTW that it would be better to be replaced with "victorial internet" as Mr papa bravo reminded one time.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
In New England (my experience is limited to Massachusetts and New Hampshire), your property line extends to the center line of the waterway. Hence, if a sand bank develops naturally in front of my property, I own a new beach. Until the next storm that washes it away. Artificial borders, like a rock wall into the waterway, are prohibited. That doesn’t prevent homeowners from reinforcing natural edges.

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
The man who invented dynamite for the first time, regreted after a while that his invention weaponized to kill people,
so what a great regret must be for such widespread and growing invention as internet to be weaponized by the same a$$holes...it can kill you by every moment and every refresh indeed.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Yes, I also have met some really nice people, especially here on these forums. Have even gotten together with some locally for dinner. A few I exchange holiday greeting cards with. I need to make more friends in warm southern climates so I can visit them during winters. :)

Ron
Bring César with you on February and we could celebrate your/our birthday.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
In the ~35 years I have used the Internet, I have been blessed with friends and acquaintances from all over the world. I am grateful for that. For all of you here I think of as my AAC friends, and for the others from other communities I am part of.

But, Internet friends are often very tenuous insofar as I only know and can communicate with them on a single platform. I don’t know who they are in “meatspace”, which is fine as far as it goes but can be very sad when one disappears, suddenly, and without warning or explanation.

So many times I have regretted not trying to get to know people better, to set up an out of band method of staying in touch, of at least telling them I admire and respect them, and that I enjoy their online companionship.

So, without calling out names for fear of leaving people out, I want you to know there is almost no one here who regularly posts that I don’t look forward to “seeing” and don’t enjoy interacting with. Each of you has a personality I have come to know, and knowledge and skill I have come to admire. Each of you with strengths in different areas and though we all have weaknesses, yours just make you, well you to me.

Thank you all for being an important part of my life. I look forward to checking AAC each day and seeing what my friends have to say.
Until now had the chance to know in person only one member. It was when the EPE Chat Zone forum was still vigorously up and running. Nice place where the tone was conversational chat and fruitful learning.
OPs were just that, not "owners" of any thread.

The member in question had to pass through Bs Aires to connect his flights from Capetown or Durban to somewhere in USA. He was minister in a populated city in South Africa and even authored a book of circuits notoriously interesting. He came here twice.

Being me the local guy was an unusual feeling and obviously enjoyed the experience.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I remember reading an old edition of National Geographic magazine from about 1920. There was alarm because a glacier the size of Rhode Island broke off and went out to sea. This was repeated about 2095 if I recall. At least for the last 100 years whenever a large chunk of ice broke off people became agitated.

The U.K. covers 242,495 km². That is a lot of ice!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
In the ~35 years I have used the Internet, I have been blessed with friends and acquaintances from all over the world. I am grateful for that. For all of you here I think of as my AAC friends, and for the others from other communities I am part of.
I agree, this is one of a small few of the more sociable forums I belong to.
Since joining it has evidentially been fairly free of Trolls.
But apparently there is one member here who generally posts a seemingly innocuous questions but appears his only intention of posting is some hidden agenda in order to belittle those he disagrees with, or does not like their answer, for whatever reason.
I guess especially with the nature of the internet, Troll's are to be expected, unfortunately.
I often think there must be something missing or wrong in their life that has this effect on their personality.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
I agree, this is one of a small few of the more sociable forums I belong to.
Since joining it has evidentially been fairly free of Trolls.
But apparently there is one member here who generally posts a seemingly innocuous questions but appears his only intention of posting is some hidden agenda in order to belittle those he disagrees with, or does not like their answer, for whatever reason.
I guess especially with the nature of the internet, Troll's are to be expected, unfortunately.
I often think there must be something missing or wrong in their life that has this effect on their personality.
Trolls, need to be reported to and taken care off by administrators,
else they proliferate,

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The post I find interesting or amusing is when a thread starter post asking a question. Then if they don't get the answer they want they argue the point as if waiting to hear an answer they want to hear. A good example is frequently unity gain nonsense. People explain there is no free ride but the thread starter will persist. I don't get it. :)

Ron

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I remember reading an old edition of National Geographic magazine from about 1920. There was alarm because a glacier the size of Rhode Island broke off and went out to sea. This was repeated about 2095 if I recall. At least for the last 100 years whenever a large chunk of ice broke off people became agitated.

The U.K. covers 242,495 km². That is a lot of ice!
In my first summer campaign in Antártida during part of one of my afternoon watches (12.00 - 16.00) and part of the next, we had our vessel navigating in free water, thus full speed ( quite close to 12 kn), along a tabular iceberg, for a total of 5 hrs. That means one side almost 60 sea miles long. While I cannot swear it, looked like a big square of ice.

It's worth to note that tabulars rarely gives a complete echo that could go farther than a "V" shape of sorts. I forgot long ago what height we estimated at the moment but that was a lot of ice too!