The Right To Be Unknown

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I have built two dune buggies. I am what you call a "duner". My wife and I connect up with other duner friends at the Imperial Sand Dunes in southern California. It is too hot right now, the season starts mid October.

The red one is mine and the blue one is my wife's.
There are two red ones.

And the blue left no tracks....how'd you accomplish that?

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
The closest red one is mine. The sand is alive, it moves with the wind. If you don't like the dunes, wait an hour and they will change.

I have built two dune buggies. I am what you call a "duner". My wife and I connect up with other duner friends at the Imperial Sand Dunes in southern California. It is too hot right now, the season starts mid October.

The red one is mine and the blue one is my wife's.
Looks like fun. I have never built a car but I have cut up two of them with an angle grinder.

The motors are buried in the backyard. Sold a lot of other parts in eBay though.

I like turbochargers. Had a couple of cars that went like a bat out of hell.
Twin turbo Nissan 300ZX. Mazda MX6 GT. Toyota Supra.

I'm saving the best for last though: Mitsubishi 3000GT Twin Turbo 325BHP AWD.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
We kind of wandered off topic (in the off topic section). We should return to the normally scheduled program. What was that......Oh yea... The right to be unknown...........

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
BTW, I don't have the experience of ever checking into either a glass hotel or no-tell hotel with a woman. So, maybe I am missing something in the analogy. :D

John
Maybe I spent too much time in Japan. 'Love Hotels' are everywhere.

Anonymity is important on the Internet because:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Please elaborate as to why you believe people are born with:

a. Personality
b. Sexual orientation

+1 for having the balls to engage in an very touchy subject.
There is a time and a place for this type of conversation, and quite frankly, I don't think this is either one. Otherwise I would be happy to elaborate.

Regards,
Matt

There is a time and a place for this type of conversation, and quite frankly, I don't think this is either one. Otherwise I would be happy to elaborate.

Regards,
Matt
Are you aware that it is perfectly normal to go through an homosexual phase as an child?

Old medical books of 1967 tell us this much.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Are you aware that it is perfectly normal to go through an homosexual phase as an child?

Old medical books of 1967 tell us this much.
Of course, it is a proven fact that a lot of adolescents go through such a phase. But again, I don't think this is the place to discuss it :p

Then open a new off topic thread. This one is about a different subject: Anonymous internet presence.
Anonymous internet user? psh! go and commit an homicide and type in self incriminating evidence and the Police will have your arrest warrant Monday morning.

Problem is that it should only be Police business.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I am all for the Police knowing us all. But not the general population.
That would be tough to accomplish since us all is the general population.

Problem is that it should only be Police business.
Those who commit crimes and then brag about it on the internet, make the police's job of tracking them down much easier.

About 8 years ago, a woman complained to the police that her under 16 year old ran off with an older boy she met on the internet. The under 16 year old had a profile on myspace or some other social media that stated she was 18. Well, the cops stopped the older boy and the young girl before leaving the state ... and let the guy go based on the social media statement of the girls age.

The MOM's social media page stated she couldn't wait for her child to go to school so she could light up a doobie. Guess who got arrested?

Employers routinely search your social media pages ... to ensure you represent them in a positive light.

If you have an expectation of privacy, ensure you take some measures for your expectation to become a reality.

As far as anonymous posters ... some believe their credibility is lessened because of that anonymity. That is the reader's choice, to judge someone's credibility. It happens in every forum.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think a problem with communication over the internet is that, for the user, there is not much difference between secure, private communications and a wide open, public forum. In the real world, if we are standing on a public sidewalk or in a bus station, we would naturally sense the lack of privacy and we would have no expectation of it. We adjust our speech and behavior accordingly, knowing we might be under scrutiny by a cop or a robber. We would be careful at the ATM to not let prying eyes watch us make a withdrawal. If we are sitting in an exam room, door closed, with our doctor, then we have a pretty good sense that our communication is private.

On the internet, there are not these natural cues to make a public forum feel any different than when we're securely interacting with our bank or broker or doctor. You have to sign into both, with the same tool (laptop, smartphone), used in exactly the same way. There's basically no difference in the experience except for your own vigilance. But in one case you might as well be on the street corner, and in the other you could be inside a bank vault.

The OP's original question though, is about the "right" to be unknown, so that for instance a Google search for you would not turn up any information. I don't believe there is, or can ever be, any such right. You exist in the world and there are all sorts of public records to document that as well as eyewitness testimony of people you have met. You cannot expect to control those sources. If someone decides to name you in a newspaper article, there's nothing you can do about it. (You have some legal recourse if they lie about you, but that does not make the original article disappear.) So behave yourself!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I think a problem with communication over the internet is that, for the user, there is not much difference between secure, private communications and a wide open, public forum. In the real world, if we are standing on a public sidewalk or in a bus station, we would naturally sense the lack of privacy and we would have no expectation of it. We adjust our speech and behavior accordingly, knowing we might be under scrutiny by a cop or a robber. We would be careful at the ATM to not let prying eyes watch us make a withdrawal. If we are sitting in an exam room, door closed, with our doctor, then we have a pretty good sense that our communication is private.

On the internet, there are not these natural cues to make a public forum feel any different than when we're securely interacting with our bank or broker or doctor. You have to sign into both, with the same tool (laptop, smartphone), used in exactly the same way. There's basically no difference in the experience except for your own vigilance. But in one case you might as well be on the street corner, and in the other you could be inside a bank vault.

The OP's original question though, is about the "right" to be unknown, so that for instance a Google search for you would not turn up any information. I don't believe there is, or can ever be, any such right. You exist in the world and there are all sorts of public records to document that as well as eyewitness testimony of people you have met. You cannot expect to control those sources. If someone decides to name you in a newspaper article, there's nothing you can do about it. (You have some legal recourse if they lie about you, but that does not make the original article disappear.) So behave yourself!
When our kids were born, at the dawn of the Internet age, we took it as a personal challenge to keep their names off of the Internet for as long as possible. Then came the swimming lessons, swim races and soccer - names and team photos in the local news paper, eventually the local newspaper put all archives on the Internet. Then came came various other photos of school kids that happen in a small town. Then Facebook and YouTube. Then came thingiverse.com and iTunes Store and interviews in national magazines about projects/designs one posted on thingiverse and games the other posted on the iTunes Store.

What a waste of time trying to keep your name off the Internet.

Me on the other hand, my name only appears in a few Google hits.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I am all for the Police knowing us all. But not the general population.

Monday morning. 800 hours. Deploy to the Police station to stand up STRAIGHT for an hour to get the 'all clear'

Basically we line up for food rations and show our respect for the law.

Easy greasy.

Respect for the law, works both ways.

What you say, Is as Un-American as you can get.