The pets of AAC...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
This post is prompted by a tragic episode that occurred recently of two dogs killing a new born baby in the US.
One of my interests is studying domestic animal behavior, and just what makes them tick.
I have made a point of studying case histories and some personal experience on the subject of exactly why pet dogs kill infants, which generally occur when there is more than one animal present.
A case in point I always remember, which is typical BTW of these reports.
A couple who lived on a acre or so of land had a young daughter, they also had a pet dog which apparently adored the girl.
The neighbor also had a dog which got on fine with both the couple's daughter and their dog.
The husband happened to be working in an out house and the daughter was outside playing with their dog.
After a while the husband when to check on his daughter and found her apparently mauled by the dogs and semi conscious, after rushing the daughter to hospital, she subsequently died from her injuries, the police ruled it foul play and the husband and wife were charged with killing her and each jailed for a 5yr term each.
After an appeal it was discovered by injury photo's not previously presented that the dogs caused the death, and they were released.

Subsequently I happened to be at a friends house when the granddaughter was present together with the family dog and the dog appeared fine and very protective of the child.
Another relative dropped by with their dog which had previously got on fine with my friends dog.
But all of a sudden things turned nasty between the dogs in the presence of the young baby and they had to be separated, fortunately adults were present.

There has been a few similar instances in my province alone in the past couple of years, unfortunately fatal, and usually occurs when there is no adult present.
It is my conclusions that it is to do with inherited pack rivalry factor, and the infant suffers as a consequence.

My observations, particularly with dog behavior that it is much of their activity is driven by their inherited instincts, in spite of training.
There are many more example of different events I have observed and recorded, one of my favorites is the Utube video of Fenton in Regents park in London, Some where lodged in Fenton's brain is the knowledge that once you get the herd stampeding, you look for the weak ones, except he probably did not really know why he was doing it, to the chagrin of his hapless owner.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
On an allied note, I remember a TV program showing police dogs in action, and one officer was asked why they use German Shepherds and not Dobermann Pincer and the officer showed a video of the difference of a Doberman and German shepherd trying to be trained to catch an offender, the German Shepard would respond immediately to a command to no longer attack once commanded to.
The Doberman, once commanded to attack could not be called off and had to be forcibly pulled off the demonstrator.
Max.

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Interesting observation and theory. And your theory sounds very sensible.

Where I live many dogs live like "free people", scrounging for food or accepting handouts from kind hearted people. As a stranger meeting individuals the dogs are usually friendly or meek, but once there are a few of them in one place you had better have a stick in your hand.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The Rottweiler, once commanded to attack could not be called off and had to be forcibly pulled off the demonstrator.
Hmmm..no, "off" button on a Rotty. Thanks for the information.

Strong urge to say that dogs can be educated, but most people don't understand pack mentality. Most of the time it isn't, "bad dog", it's, "bad human".
Re. post #245: You let your dog believe you're not the pack leader, then you let your baby pull its tail? Bad human!

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Watching the baby pulling the food dish away from the German Shepherd made me wince. Having had several dogs, one thing I learned (and especially from one German Shepherd (though she could understand English very well) ) is that you should never try to take food away from a dog especially if you want to keep all of your fingers.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
On an allied note, I remember a TV program showing police dogs in action, and one officer was asked why they use German Shepherds and not Rottweiler's, and the officer showed a video of the difference of a Rottweiler and German shepherd trying to be trained to catch an offender, the German Shepard would respond immediately to a command to no longer attack once commanded to.
The Rottweiler, once commanded to attack could not be called off and had to be forcibly pulled off the demonstrator.
Max.
Been in their blood for centuries, just like "Pit bulls" but smarter and bigger which makes them so dangerous. Bull Mastiff's are tricky, one such person found out when his girlfriend was violently attacked by a "Rottie" a bit to the arm and the dog shook until the arm came off. Not even hitting the dog several times with a bolder, didn't stop the attack once started.

"wiki" said:
The Rottweiler is one of the oldest of herding breeds.[6] With a history possibly dating back to the Roman Empire,[7] the Rottweiler may be a descendant of ancient Roman drover dogs; a mastiff-type dog that was a dependable, rugged dog with great intelligence and guarding instincts. During their quest to conquer Europe, the Roman legion traveled in large numbers across the continent. The non-existence of refrigeration meant the soldiers had to bring herds of cattle with them on their excursions for food. These drover dogs were not only used to keep the herds of cattle together, but to guard the supply stock at night. Around A.D. 74 the Roman army travelled across the Alps and into what is now southern Germany. For the next two centuries the Roman drover dogs were continually used in herding and driving cattle for trade even after the Romans were driven out of the area by the Swabians.[8]

A town in this region was eventually given the name Rottweil.[8] It became an important trade center and the descendants of the Roman cattle dogs proved their worth by driving the cattle to market and protecting the cattle from robbers and wild animals.[8] The dogs are said to have been used by traveling butchers at markets during the Middle Ages to guard money pouches tied around their necks.[9] The dogs eventually came to be called Rottweiler Metzgerhunds, or butcher dogs.[8] As railroads became the primary method for moving stock to market, the need for the breed declined, as did the number of Rottweilers. The number of Rottweilers diminished so severely that by 1882 in a dog show in Heilbronn, there was only one very poor representative of the breed.[8]
kv

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I don't think it matters the size of the dog, I have been 'attacked' by the smallest of dogs and many have no qualms of taking on much larger dogs, In the recesses of their mind they retain the genes of their larger wolf/wild dog ancestor, they just don't have the equipment to follow it through.
Also there is a difference between 'Intelligent' and 'Clever' many dog owners I feel place the former label on their pets too quickly, I have read and watched scientific experimental studies to gauge the level of intelligence in different species, and dogs did not score very high at all, Intelligence being gauged on the ability to reason, one of the highest incidentally, was birds, particularly some species of black birds, Ravens, Crows etc.
So much for the label 'Bird Brain'!o_O
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Interesting, what you've just described as pack behavior in dogs. Maybe the same reasoning could be applied to humans when they join a gang.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
One thing I learned is that you should never try to take food away from a dog, especially if you want to keep all of your fingers.
I humbly disagree. Well...not so humbly. That dog didn't believe that YOU are the pack leader. Taking the food away from a dog is a standard test to see if it will be adopted from the dog pound or euthanized. It all comes down to who's the bitch in the relationship...you or the animal?

I won't say all dogs can be convinced that they aren't the pack leader, but I will say a good pack member knows who's boss, and it's me.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
It's almost Caturday, enough with the dogs already.

3guys.jpg

Two weeks ago I am greeted by the all gray guy above. He's wandering around in our parking lot by himself, one eye shut and the other gooey too from infections. He sits, looks up at me with one eye and says "meow?"

I scooped him up and he nestled right into my arms.

Two days later I get paged to return to my office. There is a huge box with the next two kittens inside. "NOOO" I protest but later my wife assures me she has homes so bring them home too.

Our spare bedroom is now a kitten nursery. It is one of the happiest places on Earth.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's almost Caturday, enough with the dogs already.
In the last few days I have found two new cats coming out from under my car when I walk outside. I think I have 5 cats living at my house, and I've never fed any of them. The back yard has a grey fluffy, a brown raggedy, and a calico. The front yard has Stephan's cat, mostly white with some black, and a negative image of that one...mostly black with some white. I don't have a clue as to why they like to be under my car. I've been there. There is nothing cat-interesting under my car.:confused:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Car owners here that park their car outside often have a problem in the winter months where out-door or semi feral cats seek warmth on top of the motor after being parked.
Especially where a block heater is used.
On start up in the morning usually results in the animal leaping into the fan belt etc with predictable results.:eek:
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Car owners here that park their car outside often have a problem in the winter months...

On start up in the morning usually results in the animal leaping into the fan belt etc with predictable results.:eek:
Max.
One can hope, but this is July in Florida. The heat is somewhere between unbearable and un-survivable. It seems to me that the humidity under the car would be even worse than it is in free air. I wonder what it is that makes cats in general want to be under my car. A bit of shade and suppressed air flow? That wouldn't be an improvement for us water cooled humans. I guess it seems like an improvement to those who wear a fur coat at all times.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Cats don't mind humidity, because for the most part they don't sweat and don't rely on skin evaporation to cool themselves. On a hot day I suspect they're finding a cool spot of ground underneath the car. They're drawn to cool damp spots on hot days.

And in case you haven't seen it, @#12 may need to see this.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bertus Off-Topic 39