The "other" part of an electronic project?

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I use a vernier height gauge and an angle plate for marking out boxes. In industry they are used on accurate surface plates but for sheet metal any flat surface (the kitchen worktop) will do.

The height gauge will scribe a line at a given height, so it is easy to scribe lines parallel to an edge or side of the box. Use a marker pen or engineer's blue to colour the area to be marked first so the scribed lines show up better. To get centre lines you can use the gauge to measure the box and then half it. You can easily check a center by flipping the box over and checking that the gauge meets the scribed line.

It is quick and accurate and works with cases rounded edges and corners and domed tops.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I've found that home improvement stores have great project boxes in their electrical departments. They have great selections of weather proof plastic boxes that are inexpensive and easy to work with. I have a fuse box/panel on my sailboat I made with a small, waterproof box from Home Depot (abt. 10 bucks) and a panel ordered from Overton's.

They even have weatherproof boxes with clear fronts. My next project might use one, so I can peer in at the electronics.

MrChips said:
One of my favorite vices is to collect the cases of discarded PCs and turn them into project boxes.
I've saved a few old PC cases. Trying to figure out what to do with them.

bountyhunter said:
The face of the analog meter was created by me, printed, cut out and applied to the meter face with double stick tape.
That stuff is amazing. I taped a breadboard with it and now cannot remove it!

Richie121

Joined Jan 12, 2014
Don't forget Computer PSU's.
They are excellent if you take everything out & rivet a plain cover on the front. I use large sticky feet on the base. They even come fitted with a power socket at the back.

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
Always use a center punch to put an indent at the desired center of the hole.
The indent keeps the first (small) drill from wandering off from the center.
You can also make a template for the holes with small pilot holes in them. If you mess up the template, try again.

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
Any old piece of electronics junk in a case is a candidate, old routers, amps. May even find the power supply useful. Sometimes replace the front panel, or apply something over the existing one.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I have one of these, http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=64823 As long as you have ~3/8" hole to start with it works real good. But like most of these kind of things they work better in aluminum and plastic then steel at the rated thickness. The company Aircraft Tool Supply has a lot of good sheet metal tools. At not too bad of prices compared to most places. The hand nibblers like the ones you guy's showed, are nothing compared to this one. I've had and used both.

I did this kind stuff as part of my job and do sheet metal shaping as a hobby. So I do have a lot of these kind of tools.
I swear Radio Shack used to carry these.