The irreversibility of time

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
If I understand things correctly, a photon is everywhere it can be at the same time for its entire existence... from the photon's perspective, of course.... right?

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
If I understand things correctly, a photon is everywhere it can be at the same time for its entire existence... from the photon's perspective, of course.... right?
Right, the simple fact that light moves at the same speed regardless of whether or not you're already going 99.99999% the speed of light thus implies that it must indeed be "timeless".

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Life is the process of using energy (thereby increasing entropy in the rest of the universe) to fight our local entropy, until we lose that fight. We cannot come close to stopping it, let alone reversing it.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
entropy S is the natural logarithm of the number of microstates, multiplied by the Boltzmann constant.
I love this part of
statistical mechanics.
"Because.. statistics are often used as a drunken man uses a light post.
For support rather than illumination!!! Respectfully That statement was not directed towards you Mr.Wayneh.
On a side note what are the names of your kitty cat friends they are adorable!

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
Life is the process of using energy (thereby increasing entropy in the rest of the universe) to fight our local entropy, until we lose that fight. We cannot come close to stopping it, let alone reversing it.
Maybe, but there is at least one we can combat entropy without the expense of energy: Geometry!

For example , consider a thin-walled box filled with some gas close to equilibrium (a high entropy system). Large holes on one side of the box allow particles to escape. The angles of exit will be more or less random.

However, if the opposite wall were instead lined with small parabolic surfaces which faced the holes on the other side, the particles would now have much more of a tendency to exit the holes in an almost completely perpendicular fashion.

And voilà, using simple geometric principles we can actually help to decrease the entropy in the universe. Just by changing the physical interfaces of surfaces!

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Maybe, but there is at least one we can combat entropy without the expense of energy: Geometry!

For example , consider a thin-walled box filled with some gas close to equilibrium (a high entropy system). Large holes on one side of the box allow particles to escape. The angles of exit will be more or less random.

However, if the opposite wall were instead lined with small parabolic surfaces which faced the holes on the other side, the particles would now have much more of a tendency to exit the holes in an almost completely perpendicular fashion.

And voilà, using simple geometric principles we can actually help to decrease the entropy in the universe. Just by changing the physical interfaces of surfaces!
The distance between walls would have to be less than the mean free path of the gas molecules in question (i.e too close to be useful, or extremely deep vacuum -- too sparse to be useful).

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
All cats are adorable unless they are in your face trying to claw your eyes out. One of the oddities with black holes is time is manuverable inside the event horizon, my personal belief is you have taken a worm hole to a different dimension. Everyone has an internal model of the universe, be it religion or science (or both).

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Yeah I guess you're right. Damn you entropy!!!
That's one of the usernames I considered when I joined this site a long time ago: "Master of Entropy" ... but no, it sounded too pretentious and almost god-like. And besides, I'm barely master of my own house.... I'm glad I stuck to my name, plain and simple. :)