The hometown thread...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Nice vid. There is a similar one of Pittsburgh by air. Here is the trailer.

So what is the origin of Monterrey? Why was the city founded?
Funny you should ask... my family was among its founders. Legend has it that it was partly founded by Jews running from the spanish inquisition. And there's probably some truth in that, since much of our cuisine resembles kosher style. But the main reason why it was founded where it is is because of its (relatively) abundant water in the middle of a semi-desert area.

Los Martinez4.jpg

Here's a pic of my grandfather, sitting on the lap of my great-great-great grandfather. The guy to the right (the one with the thick mustache) was my great-grandfather, who was the mayor of Monterrey back in the 1920's. The one on the left is my great-great-grandfather. There was a horrible prosecution against the Catholic Church in those days, which was relentless, rampant and bloody. The government kept executing every single priest they found walking down the street. It was so bad that my grandmother had to get married in secret, and late at night... in a scene closely resembling to that of the priest arriving at that home in the Exorcist movie.

BTW, congrats on today's Steeler's exciting game! :)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Funny you should ask... my family was among its founders. Legend has it that it was partly founded by Jews running from the spanish inquisition. And there's probably some truth in that, since much of our cuisine resembles kosher style. But the main reason why it was founded where it is is because of its (relatively) abundant water in the middle of a semi-desert area.

Here's a pic of my grandfather, sitting on the lap of my great-great-great grandfather. The guy to the right (the one with the thick mustache) was my great-grandfather, who was the mayor of Monterrey back in the 1920's. The one on the left is my great-great-grandfather. There was a horrible prosecution against the Catholic Church in those days, which was relentless, rampant and bloody. The government kept executing every single priest they found walking down the street. It was so bad that my grandmother had to get married in secret, and late at night... in a scene closely resembling to that of the priest arriving at that home in the Exorcist movie.
I really envy people that can trace their family back. I have no photos of my mother's parents and know almost nothing about them. My father might have a photo of his grandmother. I know a little more about his family but not much.

BTW, congrats on today's Steeler's exciting game! :)
Yes it was exciting! I was actually out riding my bike but recorded it on the PVR. I pretended like it was just happening. I almost had another heart attack. ;)

So are you a Raiders fan or Steeler fan? Or just American football in general? How do you get to see it? Do you have NFL ticket on Direct TV?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
So are you a Raiders fan or Steeler fan? Or just American football in general? How do you get to see it? Do you have NFL ticket on Direct TV?
My brother in law is a huge Steelers fan. And we do get NFL games on cable, or through satellite, which most regios (a nickname used for people from Monterrey) have readily available.
On the other hand, the daughter of one of my very best friends (who is also a proud regio) married a rather good man from Pitsburgh a couple of years ago. His first grandchild was born four days ago, and he's up there right now. He grabbed hold of some tickets and went to see the game today with his son-in-law.... go figure!
I'm not an avid NFL follower, though you will find bad-to-the-bone fans down here, which range all the way from Cowboys followers, to Kansas City Chiefs fanatics... it's quite funny to see all this eclectic mix of preferences, since our city (or for that fact, the entire country) doesn't have an official professional American Football team... so we're free to pick our personal favorite from the whole NFL catalog.
We do have college American Football teams though (we only call plain Football what you know as soccer, btw) and some of them are quite good... so good in fact, that sometimes they play against american college teams.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Nice!... I've always loved Canada, it's people and it's culture... one of my best friends is Canadian, actually... never been there, though... but maybe I'll fix that small issue in a couple of years.
And I love Mexico. Music. The food. The people.
I spent a lot of my vacations in Cozumel back in the days when it was not a tourist trap. Some of the poorest but most generous and people I have ever met were found there.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Some of the poorest but most generous and people I have ever met were found there.
Ever been to San Miguel de Allende? Check this article.

Mexico is indeed a curious mix... some of the worst criminals can be found here... but it's also home to one of the friendliest cultures (especially regarding foreigners) on the planet. Here's another interesting bit:

"The hardest thing to adjust to is actually the quality of the Mexican people....They're the kindest, gentlest people and they're so helpful and so friendly. You feel cared about down here. I came here alone, I knew no one. And I have friends, and I feel loved."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/americans-immigrate-to-mexico-to-retire-report-better-living-conditions/

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
My hometown - you can see bridges are drawn, it is past midnight. June is a great time to go. Up until a few years ago you could not get from one end of the city to another when bridges were up, one visit my mother and I were having a great final dinner with friend we almost missed the last train to get out to the side the airport is on. Now there is a highway that encircles the city.

This music video is also my hometown. I actually like it better. Song is called "Russian Spring".

And now I live in a pacific rainforest. It is a nice town that has fallen on some rough times. I miss my hometown dearly

From last week:

20200815_134848.jpg20200813_125737.jpg

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
I've often wondered what it would be like to live in one of these places you all are showing pics of.
Here there is "Nothing". Nothing to brag about, nothing to take a picture of, nothing happening.
If you want to go swimming you better not go to the Alabama River, You need a pool. It use to be nice but now it looks like over creamed coffee and is full of alligators and snakes.
Brzrkr

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I've often wondered what it would be like to live in one of these places you all are showing pics of.
Here there is "Nothing". Nothing to brag about, nothing to take a picture of, nothing happening.
If you want to go swimming you better not go to the Alabama River, You need a pool. It use to be nice but now it looks like over creamed coffee and is full of alligators and snakes.
Brzrkr
Not much left of my Hometown. Was born in this house.
https://goo.gl/maps/ak6kCHxYMSCqxwgKA

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Funny you should ask... my family was among its founders.

There was a horrible prosecution against the Catholic Church in those days, which was relentless, rampant and bloody.
Who were the persecutors, BTW?
Have you ever taken a DNA test, for Spanish ancestors?
Do you know what generation was your first in Mexico?
Just curious.. :cool:
Max.