The hometown thread...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Excellent video produced by a local news channel showing the huge diversity of animals that inhabit the mountains surrounding the city where I live. The interesting part starts at 1:40

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Hard to believe the thread runs back to 2015. While sometime off come February 2022 my wife and I will be visiting Mexico. She has never been. Puerto Vallarta before going down to Guatemala and Costa Rica on the Pacific side. Need to remember to buy coffee beans. Then the Panama Canal and up the Caribbean with several stops. We have done the Panama Canal before but only in and out on the Atlantic side. Absolutely loved all my trips down Mexico way. The Monterey area you are in is absolutely beautiful countryside. Following COVID I am looking forward to that trip and next week we are in North Carolina for the beach.

Ron

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Hard to believe the thread runs back to 2015. While sometime off come February 2022 my wife and I will be visiting Mexico. She has never been. Puerto Vallarta before going down to Guatemala and Costa Rica on the Pacific side. Need to remember to buy coffee beans. Then the Panama Canal and up the Caribbean with several stops. We have done the Panama Canal before but only in and out on the Atlantic side. Absolutely loved all my trips down Mexico way. The Monterey area you are in is absolutely beautiful countryside. Following COVID I am looking forward to that trip and next week we are in North Carolina for the beach.

Ron
Thats a pool ron, a pool. we have a lake, look at Post# 21 it stinks and is all of about 4 to 18 feet tops but it’s a lake ron. a lake. lol

kv:)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
We don't have any mountainous vistas here, but being the worlds breadbasket, we have vast vistas of wheat, canola & rape seed as far as the eye can see!
We also have 100,000 lakes full of fish, also rivers that provide us with hydro electricity.
Fish and wild life in abundance.
The aurora borealis is a bonus.
You can even find beauty in the desert, I know, l lived one for almost 2 years.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
You need to fix the spelling of Mount Timpanogos. Utah Lake should be dredged to bedrock or filled in.
I’ll bet that spelling has bothered you since Aug 2020, if so bravo to your apparent spelling need. Done. You must be from Utah, they’ve been told several times but the June Sucker would be at risk which looks like a carp, but it’s a native fish. It’s not enough for the water to be used as a toilet by the old Geneva Steel Company.
Some people actually water ski, I won’t eat fish or swim in it. Giant chemical toilet.

kv

Edit: Don’t think I’ve ever attempted to spell it either, Timpanogos is not how we pronounce it, learned it in school Pronunciation is like “Timpinogas“

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
You need to fix the spelling of Mount Timpanogos. Utah Lake should be dredged to bedrock or filled in.
Funny went the Uni to pay my Semi Annual insurance payment, while I was there we got onto spelling which I mentioned my mis-spell of Mount Timpanogos I ask them to pronounce it and tell me how to spell it, same pronunciation and spelling lol

Guess I’m not the only Utahan to spell it that way. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the catch,

kv

Edit: On a side: Dredging would be the most profitable, I’m told could be enough to pay for the dredge and then some, once complete would restore the water and increase the water reserve's.

kv

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Last year a rather large area of my neighborhood was turned into a public park, after being used for private children's league football practice for almost 50 years. It was a difficult (politically speaking) decision to make for the local government. But in the end, it all worked out for the best. The entire community is now enjoying the results. This place is only a couple of blocks away from my home.

e07597ba-26ff-46e0-9aa2-a9e7b4e11817.jpg

f092ab16-7e47-4ad1-99c6-b1ce91636a64.jpg

733eef22-e8e8-4aa0-956d-b4300f1ccf09.jpg

64439c4f-d0b9-45b3-8801-4f32a76ccae6.jpg

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
While I think most of what she said was right on target I have to respectfully disagree with her order of things to love. While like her I loved the land and I am a sucker for mountains my first love of Mexico was the people. Some of the warmest and friendliest people I have ever met and consider I have traveled the globe extensively living in places I never dreamed I would. Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the video. :)

I would also add if anyone wants to see a country then 3 feet (1 meter) above the surface on a motorcycle is the way to do it. Good for her.

Ron

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'm glad she had a positive experience. Unfortunately, the fact is that Mexico has its ugly, embarrassing side. She was probably wise enough to seek advice as to what places are considered safe to wonder about. And fortunately there are still many. God bless her.