The end of Radio Shack (for me at least)

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
We have this adorably cute snowman for our Christmas decorations. It originally had an EL sign saying "LET IT SNOW" plus some light pipe illumination around the hat, eyes, and elsewhere. Second season the driver for the EL broke, replaced a transistor and got another season till it blew again and I left it off as it was a possible fire hazard.

Then I noticed the lamp and 5 RPM motor still worked. As both the lamp and the motor ran off 12 VAC I put a small transformer in to drive them (after replacing the halogen bulb with led). That got us another 5+ years. (I took the sign off as it was melted some.)

Unfortunately, this season the spinny thing stopped so the dazzle lights went static. As I took it apart for another rebuild the transformer made a SNAP and I have to dump it.

The transformer is a Radio Shack 273-1385B, at least 20 years old, probably older. That's the last RS part in my box. A bit sad.

RS.jpg

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
RS transformers are grossly overrated. They don’t supply the rated power and they get very hot. Replace it with a Hammond transformer.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Since I have a boatload of 12VDC power supplies on hand from working with strip LEDs I'm re-powering the snowman with one of those.

Apparently 12VDC synchronous motors exist, though I'm presently on my third attempt to get a working unit thru Amazon.