Radio Shack coming back? Will it be useful?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Back in the day we still had a local distributor supplying the Radio and TV repair shops. They kept a lot of stock or could get it in a day or two plus had books of datasheets and Sam's Photofacts. So, RS was my second choice. That or mail order.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
When I lived in Boston (80s) I frequently shopped at the original Radio Shack location on Brattle Street.

The Radio Shack of my youth was not the wasteland it became later on when consumer appliances became the focus and the electronic hobbyist—the originator audience—was slowly, then rapidly, forgotten as the main target for sales and service.

I feel the biggest disservice RS did was to cause the mom and pop stores to close, then stop competing with them when it was too late. we lost a lot of great local stores that supported communities of enthusiasts because of it.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
For those not aware, Radio Shack started in the 20’s selling ham gear like many others that appeared in early magazines. In the 30’s they started publishing a catalogue. It was quite something with all the best brands of the day. Interestingly, many of the component manufacturers were from the NYC area including Brooklyn and Long Island.

Radio Shack didn‘t adapt well to the shifts in technology and so in 1962 the nearly bankrupt Radio Shack was acquired by the Tandy Leather Corporation. They wanted to make Radio Shack back into a chain smaller specialty stores with a staff that knew electronics, focusing on hobbyists, and they succeeded all during my youth anyway.

The cycle repeated and this time there was no rescuer. I think it could have been different but…