the cd4066be measured pin1 and pin2 through?

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
Hi,
the CD4066 jump wired on a breadboard and do the test, got pin1 and pin2 through, why?
Actually all 4 switches are through.
Thanks for help.
Adam
4066-quad-bilateral-switch-circuit.png

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I do not know what you mean when you say "through".
A switch can turn on or it can turn off.
Your input voltage levels do not say the positive and negative peaks that must be within the power supply range.

Your power supply is +5V and 0V then the input signals must not go above +5V and must not go more negative than 0V.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
My question as well. Use words that convey some useful information. If the TS is asking why the device turns on when the control input is open, that is wone thing. If the control input is high that is a different concern.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Are you sure your input switch voltage can be more than Vdd? Maximum Vis from datasheet says not more than Vdd+0.5V (section 6.1 of datasheet, Maximum ratings)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I guess TS means all switches are conducting.
Did you check the specs for OFF resistance?
Perhaps your chip is bad, blown by exceeding specs.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It is CERTAINLY POSSIBLE to damage an analog switch IC by exceeding the ratings, without causing any visible damage. The input protection diodes that do not appear on every functional diagram will also cause temporary anomalous operation if input voltages exceed the supply voltage.
Without adequately describing the actual conditions there is no way to provide more than guesses.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
I do not know what you mean when you say "through".
A switch can turn on or it can turn off.
Your input voltage levels do not say the positive and negative peaks that must be within the power supply range.

Your power supply is +5V and 0V then the input signals must not go above +5V and must not go more negative than 0V.
mean: turn ON without trig.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
It is CERTAINLY POSSIBLE to damage an analog switch IC by exceeding the ratings, without causing any visible damage. The input protection diodes that do not appear on every functional diagram will also cause temporary anomalous operation if input voltages exceed the supply voltage.
Without adequately describing the actual conditions there is no way to provide more than guesses.
Thanks.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The switch voltage should go between Vcc and Vss (GND), and the signal peaks can be no greater than Vcc to Vss.
Otherwise the switch will not work properly and/or be damaged.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
If you mean the voltages at inputs 1-4 then no, it can't be 'any thing'. See posts 2 and 3, and read the datasheet.
Yes, you are right, the datasheet said: Vdd+0.5.
the thing is I'd like to use a Arduino to control a 12V ON/OFF, possible? just use a 12Vdd is OK?

BTW. the drawing below why pin7 goes to 5V? should be GND?
4066.png

Last edited: