The arrival of Freevolt...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
You have to remember the power we are talking about is likely picowatts. Microwatts of harvested power will be very rare.
my thoughts exactly... it would probably be easier to harvest energy from artificial light sources instead

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Which is done routinely with many calculators.
again, just what I was thinking... :) I have a feeling that this company is just the first step towards a big scam... I just don't see how it will ever be economically viable. Or perhaps their aiming for green-founds from the government? It wouldn't be the first time I've seen it happen.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
The team of UW computer science and electrical engineers found that the peak energy contained in untapped, ambient Wi-Fi signals often came close to meeting the operating requirements for some low-power devices. But because the signals are sent intermittently, energy "leaked" out of the system during silent periods.
I don't believe this will ever fly in the real world.

There is no excessive bandwidth. Just unused channels, and time periods of idle transmission. In congested areas, access points step all over each other, and the good ones hop around looking for clear channels. PoWiFi will just add to the congestion and reduce the availability of clear channels. If they don't play nice -- almost a requirement for dependable power -- they will kill connectivity for everyone.

I don't think the FCC will go for it.