The Amazing All-Band Receiver

000SHREDDER000

Joined Apr 9, 2017
LM386 cannot operate at RF. Hence what you will hear from the LM386 is AF. It acts as its own low pass filter.
C6 is also a low pass filter to remove the RF and leave the audio.
Really I didn't know a low pass filter can turn high frequency to the audio frequency?!!!
Maybe my oscilloscope is wrong it shows the same frequency in the output:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The filter doesn't turn one frequency into another.
Rectified AM includes both the RF and the AF.
The low pass filtering removes the high frequency signals (in this case the RF frequency) to leave the audio frequencies unaffected.

000SHREDDER000

Joined Apr 9, 2017
LM386 cannot operate at RF. Hence what you will hear from the LM386 is AF. It acts as its own low pass filter.
The filter doesn't turn one frequency into another.
Rectified AM includes both the RF and the AF.
The low pass filtering removes the high frequency signals (in this case the RF frequency) to leave the audio frequencies unaffected.
Then how some people used LM386 for amplifying FM?
even after FM demodulating frequency is the same so it can't work at this frequency.
then how it can turn it to the sound frequency?

000SHREDDER000

Joined Apr 9, 2017
They use LM386 to amplify the audio demodulated from a frequency modulated RF signal.
As u can see here FM demodulator can't turn input FM frequency to the audio frqecuency,
but it can be detected like AM in the output that's why I said LM386 can't work at FM frequency.

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I don't know maybe circuit is wrong, can u show me an FM demodulator output
Look in Google for Ratio Detector and Foster-Seeley Discriminator which are common FM demodulators.
Your simple FM slope detectors still have the amplitude fluctuations such as snap, crackle and pop of AM radio.

000SHREDDER000

Joined Apr 9, 2017
If I can turn FM to the AM and demodulate it with a diode then I made an FM demodulator.
If you put a diode front of LC for demodulating AM only you can cut half of the wave then you didn't turn carrier frequency to the audio frequency.
Then how you can hear audio?

309900.image0.jpg

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If the LC is tuned to the centre frequency of an AM broadcast then you have an AM receiver. This is the standard circuit of a crystal set.

If the LC is tuned to the side of an FM broadcast then you have a FM receiver using a slope detector.

Neither will make a good radio receiver.