That 4301 compressor

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Hello,

The That website shows this:
IMPORTANT: The 4301 is not recommended for new designs.
For your new circuits designs see our improved model 4305 Low-Cost Analog Engine IC.

http://thatcorp.com/4301_Analog_Engine_Dynamics_Processor.shtml

This is the page of the mentioned replacement:
http://thatcorp.com/4305_Low-Cost_Analog_Engine_IC.shtml

Bertus
And even when you've bought the three op-amps that aren't included in the 4301, it's still only cost you £6 (see post #7)

Arjune

Joined Jan 6, 2018
I am not Mr perfect and I do not expect the Chinese to be Mr perfect but I know they have to find a way to make a living. I am glad they are providing the that 4301 even if it's a fake. I just hope my order went through properly because I was not able to place the ICS in the shopping cart I had to buy them directly. America likes to control the world with their mentality and technology and they do not want to be controlled by the Chinese and I think that is selfish. Maybe I'll chat with them again at AliExpress.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
My pet hate - designers using E96 values when they are not needed!
Ever looked at a circuit diagram and wondered "why is this 221 ohms? - it must be doing something that requires real accuracy" only to find it's driving an LED.
Agreed,

BUT

One reason a "funny" resistor gets used on a led , is down to BOM / Pick / place costs.
Once we do a schematic / BOM, we rationalise parts, so we have the minimum on a pick / place machine, as setting up each part on the machine costs money.

So if say we did need a 221 Ohm resistor in an op amp circuit say, and 200 Ohm resistors on the leds, we would change the led resistors to 221 ohms also.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I am not Mr perfect and I do not expect the Chinese to be Mr perfect but I know they have to find a way to make a living. I am glad they are providing the that 4301 even if it's a fake. I just hope my order went through properly because I was not able to place the ICS in the shopping cart I had to buy them directly. America likes to control the world with their mentality and technology and they do not want to be controlled by the Chinese and I think that is selfish. Maybe I'll chat with them again at AliExpress.
I'd jst like to say ,
I had not realised that the THAT4305 was still in existence from THAT corporation, I thought it had gone when PMi went kaput. Great news.