Textbook: Learning and Questions

anumuthu

Joined Jun 1, 2022
Hi, I've started refreshing my knowledge and experience by starting with the textbook provided in AAC website. However, I couldn't post my comments in that particular section of the chapter. For example I've a below question:
Question 10
Determine whether or not the following resistors measure within the resistance range specified by their color codes:
(Grn, Blu, Gld) Measured resistance = 6.73 Ω
Answer: (Grn, Blu, Gld) Measured resistance = 6.73 Ω Out of tolerance!
I couldn't figure out the answer, because for a 5 band resistor the 3rd code is a significant digit.

So my questions are:
1. How do I post me comment in the textbook section?
2. If someone could help me figure out the above question, it would be great.
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/worksheets/resistors/

Thank you

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Over the last 90 years or so, there have been quite a few different ways of indicating the value of a resistor using the standard colour codes. When I first got into electronics using second hand components from pre-war (WWII) valve radios, the usual code was "body, tip, spot" with the tolerance on the other end. Then it was modified over the years to a three-band system and more bands have been added since. If you are not sure of the coding, look up "resistor colour codes" and include how many bands it has.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I couldn't figure out the answer, because for a 5 band resistor the 3rd code is a significant digit.
The resistor in question only has 3 bands, so it's a 5.6 ohm resistor with 20% tolerance.

What level of knowledge/experience are you refreshing from?

anumuthu

Joined Jun 1, 2022
Welcome to AAC!

The resistor in question only has 3 bands, so it's a 5.6 ohm resistor with 20% tolerance.

What level of knowledge/experience are you refreshing from?
Thank you for your response.
I thought it could be a 3 band resistor with no 4th band, so +/- 20% tolerance, with gold as the 3rd band, so the multiplier is 10^-1. However, since the questions explicitly stated all the color codes mentioned refer to 5 band I was confused.

I have an undergrad degree in engineering( i.e. two decades ago), I've worked as design engineer in automotive and semiconductor industry. I am working on getting back to work force after decade long career break. I am pursuing hardware/electrical design roles.