Testing Thermal Breaker Switch

snote

Joined Jan 25, 2019
Hello.
I have a thermal breaker switch ETA 3130-F110-P7T1-W22AR3-6A which was hit by a lightning and the indicator LED is burnt. I want to test if the breaker is also affected. I have the idea to connect it to power (12V) in series with a 10A melting fuse (car fuse). Am I right that the breaker should open the circuit before the fuse, if it would be still working? Or is there a better solution.
Thanks,
Virginia

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I assume that is the 1pole version?
Probabally the best way is to use a Variac with a high resistive load, keep in mind there might be a time delay built in.
Max.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Hello.
I have a thermal breaker switch ETA 3130-F110-P7T1-W22AR3-6A which was hit by a lightning and the indicator LED is burnt. I want to test if the breaker is also affected. I have the idea to connect it to power (12V) in series with a 10A melting fuse (car fuse). Am I right that the breaker should open the circuit before the fuse, if it would be still working? Or is there a better solution.
Thanks,
Virginia
The fuse would probably be faster than a thermal breaker so to test it you would need to feed it with a controlled current above its rated current.

snote

Joined Jan 25, 2019
Right, the fuse will be melting much faster then the heat will be built up. I like the idea with the load. I will just connect a >6A load to it, and wait until it cuts out.
Thanks!