Terror on my LAN how to solve problems

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Im using ethernet supplied in the building and since a few months there are problems

The connection often drops off in different ways

1. The transfer rate goes down to a few kilobytes
2. I get resolving host errors persisting over hours
3. The connection disappears completely

Today I saw 3.2 gigabytes transfering already and I found this seems to be LAN traffic not from or to websites.

What is going on why 3.2 gigabytes are transfering in a few hours?

Has somebody planted a software on my laptop?

Connection speed is down to a few kilobytes but on the statistics some 150 kilobytes per second do transfer

How can I find out where does this large amount of traffic come from?

I tried a few softwares but they are not so good, I found already it seems to be via LAN internally rather than websites downloading additional softwares, like an hour for 50 megabytes, web pages could take several minutes to load and require reloading

This is going on for some months now, help!

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Im using ethernet supplied in the building and since a few months there are problems

The connection often drops off in different ways

1. The transfer rate goes down to a few kilobytes
2. I get resolving host errors persisting over hours
3. The connection disappears completely

Today I saw 3.2 gigabytes transfering already and I found this seems to be LAN traffic not from or to websites.

What is going on why 3.2 gigabytes are transfering in a few hours?

Has somebody planted a software on my laptop?

Connection speed is down to a few kilobytes but on the statistics some 150 kilobytes per second do transfer

How can I find out where does this large amount of traffic come from?

I tried a few softwares but they are not so good, I found already it seems to be via LAN internally rather than websites downloading additional softwares, like an hour for 50 megabytes, web pages could take several minutes to load and require reloading

This is going on for some months now, help!
The 3.2 gigs are coming into your laptop? That's odd...normally a virus would send data out -- unless you've been co-opted to produce bitcoins or spam.

If you know you should not be receiving such large amounts of data, first thing is to unplug!

Second, try a known clean computer and see if the connection improves. If you don't have one, make a live USB install of Linux and boot your laptop from it. Then check the network.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
That`s what I had a bloody battle just before Xmas. Laptop loaded most simplest newspaper article at least 5 minutes, all videos went by freeze/jump so I run one antivirus, cached nothing. Run another one (Avast), nothing. Run third (AVG), found 390 viruses. After sweeping it out all runs like on a wings, just at when it was new.